Helen Denny BSc Hons, PGCE, Master of Research - Maths Education
Senior lecturer in ITET – Lead in PGCE Secondary Mathematics and Numeracy
Tel: +44 (0) 1792 482135
- Secondary PGCE Mathematics Lead organising and being responsible for the PGCE Secondary Mathematics course. This role includes providing full time support to students to help develop their pedagogical knowledge, carrying out formative and summative assessments, observing students teaching in schools and working closely with school mentors.
- Secondary PGCE Strategic Lead in Numeracy.
- Secondary PGCE Module 04 Lead.
- Internal Examiner for the MRes- Mathematics degree.
- Internal moderator for PGCE assessment.
- GTP Mathematics tutor.
- MA Ed lecturer.
- Member of UCET Cymru Sub-Group, ‘National Priorities’.
- Member of the Faculty Ethics Panel.
- Member of the Extenuating Circumstances Panel.
- Involved with ERW-ITE PLP project.
- To be actively involved with research into Mathematics and Numeracy.
An experienced Secondary Mathematics teacher for ten years, during which time I was also a Head of Mathematics, Head of Year and responsible for whole school timetabling before moving into Initial Teacher Education in September 2003.
Whilst being a part time PGCE Secondary Mathematics lecturer I completed my Masters of Research in Mathematics Education which I am now the Internal Examiner for. I have also taught problem solving on the BA Ed course and been responsible for the Numeracy module on the Foundation degree. In addition to this I was the Mathematics University ‘Teach First’ lead.
I am now the Secondary PGCE Mathematics Lead, Strategic Lead in Numeracy and the Module 04 Lead.
Having started my PhD in June 2015 I am currently involved in researching trainee teachers’ perceptions of the nature of Numeracy and the extent to which they feel confident to teach higher order numeracy across the secondary school curriculum.
- UCET Cymru Literacy and Numeracy Working Party
- Management Committee Meeting - Further Maths Support Programme
- Vice Chair of Gowerton Primary School Governing body.
- Chair of Gowerton School Governor curriculum sub- committee.
- Secondary Mathematics PGCE – teaching, organisation and presentation of lectures/ tutorials, school visits, producing handbooks, assessment, references, recruitment, school placements.
- Numeracy for PGCE Secondary course- lead lectures, audits, data, reviews, support sessions.
- Module 04 lead- handbooks, organisation and presentation of lead lectures, assessment, ethics.
- Internal Examiner for MRes (Mathematics) – assessing theses, participating in vivas.
- Internal moderator – leading a team of tutors, moderation with other internal moderators.
- Teaching Research Methods on the MAEd course
- Tutor for GTP - Mathematics
- Started a PhD in looking at the numeracy skills of cross curricular Secondary PGCE students
- Teaching and learning of Mathematics
- Numeracy, in particular, trainee teachers’ numeracy skills across the secondary curriculum.
- Problem solving
- A Level- Further Maths.
- Development of ITE and assessment in pedagogy
Delivered INSET training on Numeracy to schools and ITET staff development days.
Welsh Journal of Education- The affordances of ICT for the development of effective pedagogy in mathematics and science classrooms (research led by Howard Tanner , 2008)
Improving pedagogy with ICT (research led by Steve Kennewell, 2008)
Involved with the updating of ‘Becoming a Successful Teacher of Mathematics’