Dr Irina Neaga BSc, MSc, PhD, FHEA
Senior Lecturer in Logistics
Tel: +44 (0) 1792 481128
Lecturing in the School of Engineering, Manufacturing and Logistics
Researching on the application of technology, information and knowledge management for global logistics systems.
Irina Neaga is a senior lecturer in logistics in the School of Engineering. Prior this she has taught international logistics, supply chain analysis, modelling and simulation as well as leading MBA programme within Plymouth Business School at University of Plymouth, Devon, United Kingdom. Her research and teaching are focused on contemporary logistics systems, and supply chain management issues applying new technologies, computational techniques and software systems. She has also worked for several years as a researcher for Loughborough University, School of Engineering and Business, Leicestershire, United Kingdom, on large-scale, strategic partnerships of manufacturing systems engineering, supply chain management and innovation through research, education and consultancy.
She received the BSc/MSc in Computer Systems Engineering from “Gh. Asachi” Technical University, Iasi, Romania; and the PhD from Loughborough University, Wolfson School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering.
Irina Neaga has pursued in-depth research on advanced computational systems based on knowledge discovery, data mining and recently big data o support global logistics, e-business and cognate engineering management. She has worked in higher education, industry, and research consortia in Canada, Finland, Romania, United Kingdom, and The Netherlands. She has contributed to the European funded research and development of large interdisciplinary projects funded by Research Councils, Innovate UK (former Technology Strategy Board), Department of Business, Innovation and Skills and international industrial collaborations.
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- Member of Humanitarian Logistics Association
- Senior Member of International Association of Computer Science and Information Technology (IACSIT)
- Teaching undergraduate and postgraduate subjects on
- Statistics for Logistics and research methods
- International Logistics and Supply chain management
- Operational Analysis
- Supply Chain Technology and E-business
- Modelling and Simulation
- Supervision of undergraduate, master and PhD degrees
- Supply chain technology (RFID, Internet of things, big data, cloud computing, blockchain)
- Knowledge Management and cloud based services
- Research Methods
- Sustainable Manufacturing, and systems modelling for circular economy
- Supply chain resilience and cyber / information security, risks and vulnerabilities
- Engineering and management of complex military systems
- Anticipatory and humanitarian logistics
- Application of knowledge discovery and big data mining to manufacturing and logistics
- Application of Internet of things to fast moving consumer goods
- Manufacturing systems engineering
Oyemomi, F., Liu, S. and Neaga, E.I. (2016) “How knowledge sharing and business process contribute to organizationalperformance: using the fuzzy-set QCA approach” Journal of Business Research Elsevier, Journal of Business Research Elsevier, 69(11): 5222-5227.
Neaga, E.I. and Hao, Y. (2014) "A Holistic Analysis of Cloud Based Big Data Mining" in International Journal of Developments in Big Data and Analytics, Vol. 1 (1), 2014, pp. 60—68.
Neaga, E.I. and Gheorghe, A.(2012) “A ‘System of Systems’ Standardized Architectural Approach Driven by Cloud Computing Paradigm” in the International Journal of System of Systems Engineering, Vol. 3(2), 2012, pp.103-116. Inderscience Ltd.
Neaga, E.I., Henshaw, M. (2011) “A Stakeholder-Based Analysis of the Benefits of Network Enabled Capability” in Defense & Security Analysis, Vol. 27(2), pp. 119–134, Taylor & Francis Ltd.
Neaga,E.I., Harding, J.A., and Lin, H.K. (2007) “Towards a Meaningful Manufacturing Enterprise Metamodel: A Semantic driven Framework”, in the Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part B: Journal of Engineering Manufacture, Vol. 221(B3), pp. 499-512.
Neaga, E.I., Harding, J.A. (2005) “An Enterprise Modeling and Integration Framework based on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining”, in International Journal of Production Research, Vol. 43(6), 1089-1108, ISSN print 0020-7543, online 1366-588X, Taylor&Francis Ltd.
Oyemomi, F., Liu, S. and Neaga, E.I. (2015) “The Contribution of Knowledge Sharing to Organizational Performance and Decision Making: A Literature Review” in Lectures Notes in Business Information Processing Decision Support Systems IV, Information and Knowledge Management in Decision Processes Euro Working Group Conferences, EWG-DSS 2014, Toulouse, France, and Barcelona, Spain, 2014, Revised Selected and Extended Papers, Editors: Linden, I., Liu, S., Dargam, F., Hernández, J., Springer Verlag, pp. 1-13.
Neaga, E.I., Liu, S., Xu, L., Chen, H. and Hao, Y. (2015) “Cloud Enabled Big Data Business Platform for Logistics Services: A Research and Development Agenda” in Lectures Notes in Business Information Processing Decision Support Systems V – Big Data Analytics for Decision Making, Springer Verlag, pp. 22-33. at: http://www.springer.com/gb/book/9783319185323
Coombs, C.R., Doherty, N.F., Neaga, E. I. (2013) “Measuring and Managing the Benefits from IT Projects: A Review and Research Agenda” in Transforming Field and Service Operations Methodologies for Successful Technology-Driven Business Transformation. Owusu, G., O’Brien, P., McCall, J., Doherty, N. (Eds.) Springer Verlag, pp. 257-269, ISBN 978-3-642-44969-7.
Neaga, E.I. (2013) “A Digital Infrastructure for Green Utility Computing: The Preliminary Holistic Research Agenda” in Cloud Computing (eds. Mazin Yousif, Lutz Schubert) Lecture Notes of the Institute of Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunication Engineering, Volume 112, 2013, pp. 62-71, Springer ISBN978-3-319-03873-5.
Neaga, E.I. (2007) “Semantics Enhancing Knowledge Discovery and Ontology Engineering using Mining Techniques: A Crossover Review” book chapter IX in Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining: Challenges and Realities with Real World Data, Zhu, X., Davidson, I.(eds.) Premier Reference Source Idea Group Inc., pp. 163-188, ISBN 978-1-59904-252-7.
Neaga, E.I., Liu, S., Xu, L. Chen, H. and Hao, Y. (2015) Cloud Enabled Big Data Business Platform for Logistics Services: A Research and Development Agenda in the Proceedings of the First International Conference, ICDSST 2015, Belgrade, Serbia, May 27-29, 2015,Proceedings Editors: Delibašić, B., Hernández,J.E., Papathanasiou, J., Dargam, F., Zaraté,P., Ribeiro, R., Liu, S., Linden,I.
Neaga, E.I. and Liu, S. (2014) The Knowledge Management Context of Cloud based Big Data Analytics, in the Proceedings of the 15th European Conference on Knowledge Management, Santarem, Portugal, September 2014, pp. 1339-1343.
Neaga, E.I. and Hao, Y.(2013) "Towards Big Data Mining and Discovery" the Best Paper Award for Innovation, Knowledge Innovation and Enterprise Conference, Big Data Event, London, Sept 2013, KIE Conference Books: Research Papers on Knowledge, Innovation and Enterprise ©2013, pp.35-44, ISBN 978-1-85924-281-0.
Neaga, E.I. (2012) “A Digital Infrastructure for Green Utility Computing: The Preliminary Holistic Research Agenda” in the Proceedings of the 3rdInternational Conference on Cloud Computing, Wien, September 2012.
Neaga, E.I. (2010) “Managing Knowledge, Complexity and Resilience”, in the Proceedings of the 11th European Conference on Knowledge Management, Portugal, September 2010, pp.717-724.
Neaga, E.I., and Henshaw, M. (2010) “Modelling the linkage between Systems Interoperability and Security Engineering” in the Proceedings of 5th IEEE International Conference on System of Systems Engineering (SoSE), June 2010, Loughborough, UK.
1. Plymouth Faculty of Business Research Facilitation Grants, 2015- 2017. 2. Santander Global Universities Mobility Scholarship Award, 2016.
2. Travel Grants awarded by UK High Commission in New Zealand, and Business Innovation and Skills (BIS) to participate within the Big Data and Disaster Research Collaboration in New Zealand, 2015 - 2016.
3. Innovate UK [Former Technology Strategy Board] Information Infrastructure Protection: Managing Complexity, Risk and Resilience grant as a partner for the project: Integrated model for the management of the complexity, risk and resilience of secure information infrastructure, 2010-2012. £1.6M programme; Co-Investigator (£108K)
4. Interoperability Management for Large Scale Enterprises: 2011 Funding Source: EPSRC - £17K
5. Conference and Networking Grants including Santander Bank grant to support active participation within the Conference ECKM 2010, Portugal, CloudComp 2012, Austria.
6. Member of “IT as a Utility” Network+ of the RCUK Digital Economy Network, 2012 -2014 7. Internet-of-Things R&D Roadmapping Project, RCUK – TSB, 2012.
1. Cloud Enabled Big Data 3/4PL Services: The Research & Development Agenda and the panel discussion: What are the implications of Brexit for the logistics industry? 3pl Conference, The Belfry, Soutton Coldfield, 10th -11th May 2017 at http://www.3plconference.co.uk/speakers/
2. Does Big Data Help us? Logistics and Supply Chain Conference, 21st – 22nd March, 2017, Central London, UK. http://www.logisticsandsupplychainconference.co.uk/speaker/dr-irina-neaga/
3. An analysis of the Cloud Based Big Data Mining applications, Multicore World 2015, Welington, 15th-17th February 2015. http://openparallel.com/multicore-world-2016/multicore-world2015/speakers2015/irina-neaga/
4. Enterprise big data mining in the cloud: A comparative review and research agenda, The 13th International Conference on Neuro Computing and Evolving Intelligence KEDRI, Auckland University of Technology, Auckland, New Zealand, 19th -20th February 2015.
- External Examiner for MSc Management and Global Logistics, Supply Chain Management, Leeds Beckett University, Leeds.
- PhD External Examiner
- Reviewer for British Academy (Newton Funding) and EPSRC Awards EUREKA / EuroStars Expert Evaluator.
- FP7 / Horizon2020 Expert / Evaluator - EX2002B08542.