Dr Julia Holloway DCR, BA(Hons), PGCE, MEP, ProfDoc, SFHEA
- Programme Manager PGCE Secondary
- Senior Lecturer in Secondary English
- Programme Manager responsible for quality assurance of student experience on the Secondary PGCE with QTS pathway
- Lead of Yr Athrofa’s Postgraduate Certificate in Education with QTS (Secondary pathway): English
- Lead in literacy development for Yr Athrofa’s Postgraduate Certificate in Education (Primary 3 to 11 years) with QTS and BA Primary Education with QTS.
- Module Lead/ Deputy Lead of ‘Researching the Learning: what, how and why am I teaching?’ BAEd.
- Personal Tutor on PGCE Secondary programme.
- Curriculum Tutor linked to Cowbridge Partnership schools.
Having started my career as a radiographer in St Bartholomew’s Hospital in London, I returned to Wales to take a post as a diagnostic radiographer in the Accident and Emergency Department in Cardiff Royal Infirmary. Whilst I have always been a voracious reader, it was during my employment on night shifts here that I began my lifelong passion of studying English Literature, completing a BA (Hons) in English Literature at Cardiff University. Following a period of time as a tutor of Creative Writing and facilitator of a book group for adult learners at Howardian Adult Education, I completed my PGCE in Secondary English at Swansea Metropolitan University.
Prior to the commencement of my role as Senior Lecturer of Secondary English and Drama, I was a Teacher of English at Bryntirion Comprehensive School in Bridgend. During my time at Bryntirion, I completed a Masters in Educational Practice as well as a Level 5 Leadership qualification. My roles at Bryntirion included Lead Practitioner of Literacy in a Hub school, as well as Senior Mentor for PGCE students and Induction Mentor for Newly Qualified Teachers. I was also employed as an External Verifier for NQTs.
I was a facilitator for Tactical Teaching of Reading, supporting the cross-curricular development of reading skills of adolescent learners.
I have achieved a Professional Doctorate in Education, which focused on the mentoring experiences of early career teachers.
I am currently a part of the research team for Camau i’r Dyfodol, focused on the concept of pupil progression as part of Curriculum for Wales.
I am part of the university team supporting the National Professional Enquiry Project (NPEP).
I am an examiner for WJEC English Language GCSE: Units 2 and 3.
Coaching and mentoring, partnership development and literacy development
My research for the Professional Doctorate in Education, focussed on the lived experiences of newly qualified teachers during the global Covid-19 pandemic.
I am part of the Camau I’r Dyfodol team, investigating pupil progression.
- Supporting research and enquiry both in ITE and school contexts.
- Literacy Lead in a Hub school
- The development of speaking and listening skills
- Tactical Teaching of Reading Facilitator
- Level 1 Philosophy for Children