Prof Kelvin Donne BSc, PhD, FInstP, FIET
Tel: +44 (0) 1792 483698
Undertaking research and supervising postgraduate students.
Following PhD research on computational modelling of high voltage gas discharges, my career started in 1977 with further multi-physics simulation in the area of hydrodynamics and radiation transport using high performance computing.
Upon the commencement of my academic career in 1983, I developed a computational model for light-tissue interaction that has seen significant progress through the completion of many PhD students.
In 2000, as Dean of a diverse Faculty, I generated funding and personally supervised PhD research in Product Design, Architectural Glass and Digital Media, with the University’s first successful PhD students in these emerging areas.
The majority of my 22 PGR supervisions have been in optoelectronic medical device modelling and NDT for composite materials. I am a firm believer in the conjunction of creative design with engineering to produce hybrid innovative solutions, where this University repeatedly demonstrates that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.
- Fellow of the Institution of Engineering & Technology, Chartered Engineer
- Fellow of the Institute of Physics, Chartered Physicist
- Teaching on u/g and p/g taught courses have included Finite Element Analysis; software techniques for parallelisation and 3D visualisation.
- Usability analysis for product design.
- Recycled glass for architectural applications.
- Supervised 22 PhD, 6 MPhil successful students.
- External examiner for 7 PhD students.
- Computational Modelling of Light-tissue interaction. Development of hybrid Monte- Carlo / Dual Reciprocity Boundary Element Method for determining time-dependent radiative transport and thermal diffusion for clinical therapies using incident light sources. Awarded NAFEMS prize for ‘Most Innovative Use of Simulation Technology’, Vancouver 2007.
- Computational modelling of projectile impact onto automotive windscreens using transient finite element analysis. Experimental validation using in-house, licensed ballistics facility.
- Development of statistical techniques for design factor analysis in product design
Professional expertise covers computational physics in the areas of:
- Light-based medical device modelling
- Impact damage of brittle materials
- Application of NDT techniques for composite materials.
- Numerous consultancy projects for Belron Technical Ltd, the research arm of Belron PLC, which is the world’s largest automotive glass repair and replacement company.
- Numerous research projects for commercial medical device companies
Donne K E : “Simulation Strategies for Tissue Photonics” Keynote speaker at UKSIM 19th International Conference on Mathematical/Analytical Modelling and Computer Simulation, Emmanuel College, Cambridge, April 2017
Donne K E, Bashford T & Marotin A: “Solution of the Transient Thermal Diffusion equation using the Boundary Element Method” Int. J. Comp. Meth. and Exp. Meas., Vol. 5, No. 3 (2017) 260–270. DOI: 10.2495/CMEM-V5-N3-260-270. Presented at the 39th International Conference on Boundary Element Methods, Siena , Italy, September 2016
Bashford T, Donne K E, Marotin A & Al-Hussany A. “ Parallelisation techniques for the Dual Reciprocity and Time-Dependent Boundary Element Method algorithms” , Int. J. Comp. Meth. and Exp. Meas., Vol. 5, No. 3 (2017) 395–403. DOI: 10.2495/CMEM-V5-N3-395-403. Presented at the 39th International Conference on Boundary Element Methods, Siena , Italy, September 2016
Van der Beek N, van Eijsden C, Daamen L, de Leeuw J, Donne K, Bjerring P, Neumann M. “Pulsed Dye Laser therapy and long duration of remission in psoriasis: Increasing HSP72i near proliferated terminal nerve fibres?” 24th Congress European Academy of Dermatology & Venereology, Copenhagen, October 2015
Van der Beek N, Donne K, Bjerring P, Neumann M. The effect of pulse train profile on the efficacy of PDL treatments for PWS. Br J Dermatol. July 2015. doi:10.1111/bjd.14008.
Oseng R, Donne K, Bender R and Brown R D H : “Design Criteria for fused recycled glass tiles” Craft Research Vol 5 No 1, pp 55-79 March 2014 . doi: 10.1386/crre.5.1.55_1 [Intellect]
Sutcliffe M, Weston M, Cooper I, Charlton P , Donne K, Wright B: ” Full matrix capture with time efficient auto-focusing of unknown geometry through
dual-layered media”, Insight (British Journal of NDT), Vol 55, No 6 , June 2013,
Donne K E , Marotin A and Al-Hussany A :" Dual Reciprocity Boundary Element Modelling of Collimated Light Fluence Distribution in Normal and Cancerous Prostate Tissue during Photodynamic Therapy" BIOMED, April 2013 Budapest, Hungary
M. Sutcliffe,P Charlton, M. Weston, B. Dutton and K. Donne. ‘Real-time full matrix capture for ultrasonic non-destructive testing with acceleration of post-processing through graphic hardware’ NDT&E International Vol. 51, October 2012.
M. Sutcliffe, P Charlton, M. Weston, B. Dutton and K. Donne ‘Virtual source aperture imaging for non-destructive testing’, Insight (British Journal of NDT) Vol. 54 No 7 July 2012.
Ash C, Donne K, Daniel G, Town G, Clement M, Valentine R. 'Mathematical modelling of the optimum pulse structure for safe and effective photo epilation using broadband pulsed light'. J Appl Clin Med Phys 2012; 13:5:3702. doi: 10.1120/jacmp.v13i5.3702
Donne K E, Marotin A, Al-Hussany A: “Modified dual reciprocity boundary element modeling of collimated light fluence distribution in normal and cancerous prostate tissue during photodynamic therapy” 34th International Conference on Boundary Elements and other Mesh Reduction Methods, Split, Croatia, June 2012
P. Curnick, R.D. Thomas, P Charlton and K.E. Donne. ‘An investigation into the drilling of carbon and glass fibre reinforced polymer composites’, Eighth International Conference on Condition Monitoring and Machinery Failure Prevention Technologies, June 2011
Donne K E, Marotin A, Al-Hussany A and Daniel G M “Modified Boundary Element Method to Model Radiative Transport in Biological Tissue”
International Journal of Engineering Simulation , vol12, No 1, (March 2011)
Baker A, Donne K, "Modelling Locally Disorderly Images using Fixation-Suppression," 2010 Fourth UKSim European Symposium on Computer Modeling and Simulation, pp.310-315, Pisa, Nov 2010.
DOI Bookmark: http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/EMS.2010.57
Andrew Baker, Kelvin Donne, Stephen Hole (2010), Rendering Locally Disorderly Images – 6th International Conference on Computer Science and Information Systems, Athens Institute for Education and Research, Greece. (18-25 June 2010)
Ash C, Donne K, Daniel G, Town G & Clement R M
“How Safe Are Home-Use Intense Pulsed Light (Ipl) Devices?”
LASER Europe 2010, Tarragona, Spain, May 2010
Head R, Donne K E, Bratt-Farrar K “The Cerebra Innovation Centre –Product design to improve the quality of life for brain-injured children” 7th International Conference Quality Reliability Maintenance, Swansea, UK, April, 2010.
Sinker P , Donne K “A finite-difference time-domain model for dynamic focusing in time of flight diffraction”
7th International Conference Quality Reliability Maintenance, Swansea, UK, April, 2010.
Oseng T, Donne K, Bender R & Thomas R “Experimental Evaluation of Quality Metrics in the Commercial Use of Recycled Bottle Glass” 7th International Conference Quality Reliability Maintenance, Swansea, UK, April, 2010.
Oseng T, Williams O, Thomas R, Williams D, Donne K & Morrow P “Quality Implications of Concept Design to Prototype Manufacture of a Low Cost Composite Automotive Panel – a Case Study.” 7th International Conference Quality Reliability Maintenance, Swansea, UK, April, 2010.
Ash C, Donne K, Daniel G, Town G & Clement R M
“Optimum Pulse Structure for Effective Photo Epilation Using Broadband Pulsed Light” 30th Annual conference Americas Society for Laser Medicine & Surgery, April 2010
Oseng T, Donne K E, Bender R & Thomas R D “The suitability of using photoelastic stress measurement equipment and four point bend test of fused recycled bottle glass”
Society of Glass Technology Annual Conference- University of Lancaster, 16-18, September 2009,
Oseng T, Bender R & Donne K E “Physical and Aesthetic Properties of Fused Recycled Bottle Glass”
'Making Futures Conference: the crafts in the context of emerging global sustainability agendas' 17-18th September 2009, Plymouth, UK, Vol 1, ISSN 2042-1664 257.
Sinker P, Charlton P & Donne K E “Focusing of ultrasonic data for lateral defect positioning in time-of-flight diffraction” BINDT 2009 International Conference, Blackpool, 15-17 Sept 2009
Bender R, Brown R D H , Donne K, and Oseng T, “Objective Assessment of recycled glass for architectural applications” GPD International Conference , Tampere, Finland, June 2009
Donne K E, Thomas R D, Davies C and Calvert G “Photoelastic Stress and thermographic measurements of automotive windscreen defects generated by projectile impact”, International Journal of Quality, Reliability in Engineering (Wiley) , Vol 24, 897-902, 2008.
Donne K E & Marotin A “A Three Dimensional Time-Dependent Boundary Element Method For Modelling Light-Based Cancer Therapies”. International Journal of Engineering Simulation, 2008, Volume 9 , Number 3.
Wells I, Charlton P C, Mosey S & Donne K E “Background noise removal in ultrasonic B-scan images using iterative statistical techniques”, International Journal of Quality, Reliability in Engineering (Wiley), Vol 24, pp 873-879, June 2008
Donne K E & Marotin A “Three dimensional time-dependent solution of the radiative and thermal transport problem in light-based cancer therapies”. 6th UK Conference on Boundary Integral Methods, Durham University, September 2007
Jenkins S J, Brown R D H B & Donne K E , “Infrared Thermography in Design Research”, CUMULUS 2007, Schwäbisch Gmünd, Germany.
Donne K E, Thomas R D, Davies C “Photoelastic Stress and thermographic measurements of automotive windscreen defects generated by projectile impact Thermology International Journal, 17 (3), 110-113 (2007), ISSN-1560-604X
Calvert G, Donne K E , Thomas R D “Photoelasticity measurement and analysis of automotive windscreens” 2nd World Congress on Engineering Asset Management and 4th international Conference on Condition Monitoring, 2007.
Donne K E, Calvert G, Thomas R D “Non destructive evaluation of fracture in automotive windscreens” 2nd World Congress on Engineering Asset Management and 4th international Conference on Condition Monitoring, 2007
Donne K E & Marotin A. “Radiative and Transient Thermal transport modelling using the Boundary Element Method” . Keynote lecture at2nd World Congress on Engineering Asset Management and 4th international Conference on Condition Monitoring, 2007.
Donne K E, Marotin A, Daniel G. “Development of a transient Boundary Element Method for modelling light-tissue interaction”. NAFEMS World Congress on Finite Element Methods, Vancouver, Canada,2007.
Donne K E, Head R, Bender R “CADCAM Rapid Prototyping Techniques for Glass Product Design & Manufacture”, 8th European Society of Glass Conference, Sunderland, Sep 2006.
Donne K E, Head R “A quality metric for glass artefact prototypes” 6th International Conference Quality Reliability Maintenance, St Edmund Hall, University of Oxford, UK, 2007.
Donne K E, Marotin A, Sinker P “An Integral Equation Approach to Modelling Radiative Transfer in Photo-Dynamic Therapy”
6th International Conference Quality Reliability Maintenance, St Edmund Hall, University of Oxford, UK, 2007
Head R, Donne K E, Bender R, Brown RDH (June 2005) Digital Design Methodology for Glass Design & Manufacture 9th International Conference on Architectural & Automotive Glass, Tampere, Finland
Daniel G, Donne K E , Song L (Sept 2004) “Computer Modelling of Photodynamic Therapy” IPEM Annual Scientific meeting, 6-8 September 2004, York, UK
Donne K.E., Payne C., Archer M.A. & Thomas R (April 2004). Computer Modelling of Novel Fastener Systems, 5th International Conference Quality, Reliability & Maintenance, St Edmund Hall, University of Oxford, UK
Donne, K.E., Thomas, R.A., Clement R.M. (September 2004 ) “Thermographic methods in Laser-Tissue interaction”, World Congress in NDT, Montreal
2017 - Invited keynote speaker, UK Sim 2017, Emmanuel College, Cambridge
2014 - Invited keynote speaker, HPC Wales launch event, Pembrokeshire Innovation Centre
2007 - Invited keynote speaker, Session coordinator/Chair: 2nd World Congress on Engineering Asset Management and the 4th International Conf. on Condition Monitoring
2003-present Regular referee for the Institute of Physics: J. Phys. D & Physics in Medicine and Biology Journal
2010 - Organiser of 7th International Conference on Quality, Reliability & Maintenance, Swansea.
2002, 2007 - Session Chair, 4th & 6th International Conference on Quality, Reliability & Maintenance, held at University of Oxford
2007 - Referee for Wiley, Quality & Reliability Engineering International Journal.
2008-present Member, Scientific Committee for International Journal of Engineering Simulation
2008 - Invited peer reviewer for EPSRC in manufacturing engineering
- 2016-2017: £200,000 Astute 2020: UWTSD element for ND7.
- 2013-2014: £39,208 Research & Innovation Grant, HPC Wales.
- 2013-14: £121,928.19 Collaborative Industrial Research Project, in partnership with Gower College.
- 2011-13: £440,000 Knowledge Transfer Centre in Cutting & Fabrication Technology (Ultrasonic NDT extension), ERDF/Welsh Assembly Government.
- 2009-2012: £161,597 University of Wales Sponsored Research Chair
- 2010-12: Knowledge Transfer Centre in Computer Games. In partnership with University of Glamorgan. SMU budget £144,0002008-9: Knowledge Transfer Centre in Cutting & Fabrication Technology, £305,000 ERDF/Welsh Assembly Government.
- 2008-2011: EPSRC PhD CASE Studentship,£80k, in collaboration with United Aerospace Ltd and Prof. Richard Hall, University of Wolverhampton: Optimisation of cutting techniques for composite materials.
- 2007-2010: EPSRC PhD CASE Studentship,£80k, in collaboration with Inspection Solutions Ltd/Silverwing Ltd: Ultrasonic Non-destructive Testing of sheet steel.
- 2010-13: Four UW Prince of Wales Innovation Scholarship PhD projects, each ~ £70k.
- 2005-8: Four successive grants totalling £1,240,349 for a Technology Transfer Centre in Non-Destructive Testing, in collaboration with TWI Ltd (ERDF Knowledge Exploitation Fund).
- £750,000 2005-6
- £30,000 2006
- £217,675 2006-7
- £242,674 2007-8
- 2005-8: Successive grants totalling £227,500 for a Technology Transfer Network for NDT in Wales (ERDF Knowledge Exploitation Fund).
- £70,000 2005-6
- £157,500 2006-8
- 2005- 2014: Cerebra Ltd: Product Innovation Research Centre: Cerebra invest ~ £100,000 p.a. into this centre, based in Faculty.