Mrs Laura Hutchings BA, PGCE, MA, FHEA
Programme Director for Education Studies portfolio
Tel: 01792 482099
- Programme Director for Education Studies
- Programme Director for Education Studies: Primary
- Programme Director for Education Studies: Additional Learning Needs and Inclusion
- Academic Misconduct coordinator for the Institute of Education and Humanities.
- Digital Enhancement Lead for the Centre of Childhood, Youth and Education Studies
- Module Lead
- Admissions tutor
I am the Programme Director of the Education Studies programmes at UWTSD. I deliver on a range of modules that focus on curriculum, pedagogy and assessment, additional learning needs and inclusion and creativity and wellbeing.
I have taught in higher and further education for a number of years across education and childhood programmes.
My passion lies in inclusion and supporting individuals with additional learning needs. I have supported adults, children and young people with additional learning needs in a range of education settings.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Member of the British Education Studies Association (BESA)
- Member of the Microsoft Innovative Educator Expert Community
My academic interests include:
- additional learning needs and inclusion in education
- promoting social and emotional learning through online and blended learning delivery
- individual development across the lifespan
- enquiry based learning.
I lecture across modules at all levels within the following programmes:
- BA Education Studies
- BA Education Studies: Additional Learning Needs and Inclusion
- BA Education Studies: Primary
I supervise dissertations and independent project work in the field of Education Studies
- Student engagement in blended learning delivery.
- Supporting the social-emotional learning of students through online platforms
- The efficiency of play as an approach to learning in the early years
- Inclusion, creativity and well-being in education
My expertise lies in the field of additional learning needs and inclusion in education.
I also have a keen interest in integrating technology into the classroom and I am part of the Microsoft Innovative Education Expert community. I provide expertise on a range of digital learning approaches to both staff and students in the university. I am a member of institute and university working groups that focus on digital enhancement in Higher Education.
I contribute to Continual Professional Learning and Development activities relating to digital enhancement and academic misconduct.
I am an Academic Champion of Enterprise in the university.
Hutchings, L. and Lewis, C. (2020) 'Lessons from lockdown: Best practice and key insights for supporting learners online', paper presented to the Nexus Plus Conference, University of Wales, Trinity Saint David, 21st July 2020
Lewis, C. and Hutchings, L. (2018) ‘Studying in my pyjamas: A case study of online learning and undergraduate experience’. Paper presented to the 14th Annual Conference of the British Education Studies Association (BESA), 27-28 June