Miss Libby Chancer MMath, PGCE
Lecturer in ITET – PGCE Secondary Mathematics
- PGCE Secondary Mathematics course
- Numeracy across secondary ITE
- Secondary PGCE data collection and analysis
- SWWCTE data management
- PLP pilot projects
- PGCE Secondary Mathematics
- MA Education Teaching
- Contribution to foundation degree
- Primary PGCE observations
Following a master’s degree in Mathematics, I went to work for the Civil Service as a statistician. After 3 years I decided upon a change of career and undertook a PGCE in Secondary Mathematics. I then worked as a Mathematics teacher at KS3, KS4 and KS5 in Wales.
During my teaching practice I undertook a range of action research projects, with a specific focus on developing problem solving and PISA style questions.
It was this interest in developing how we teach problem solving and my keen interest in research that led me to my current role as a lecturer on ITE for PGCE Secondary Mathematics.
My current research activity is related to the teaching and learning of Algebra with a specific focus on how an understanding of abstract algebraic concepts supports and develops pupils’ problem solving skills. My research activity is forming the basis of my PhD which I am currently working towards.
- BSRLM- British Society for Research into Learning Mathematics
- BERA – British Educational Research Association
- ATM – Association of Teachers of Mathematics
- Mathematics Secondary PGCE: Pedagogy lectures, school placement supervision, academic assignments
- MA Education: Research Methods
- Numeracy: Personal and Pedagogical knowledge
- Teaching and learning of Mathematics
- Problem solving
- Abstract thinking and algebraic concepts
- Development of ITE and pedagogy
- Expert examiner for GCSE and GCE Mathematics (Edexcel)