Mrs Marie Pitson BA (Hons), PGCert, PGDip Ed, CMI, FHEA, MA Ed
- Course Manager for BA Leadership and Management (Cardiff)
Tel: 01792 482052
Management and Finance Lecturer within Swansea Business School, teaching on a number of programmes including Sport, Tourism, Events, Business and Accounting.
In my role at the University, as well as the development and incorporation of different teaching strategies to enhance the student experience, my main interests link to the role and benefits of placement to enhance graduate employment opportunities and the role of feedback in facilitating learner progression.
Level 5 and 6 Course Manager for the BA Leadership and Management Skills for the Workplace (Cardiff) for Swansea Business School. The role involves working on admissions, communicating with the level 5/6 students and lecturers on matters including attendance, assignment calendars, assessments, pastoral issues and appointing course representatives.
Placement Lecturer/Coordinator for Tourism and Events working to develop relationships with external organisations that are local, national and international in order to acquire placement opportunities for students.
Prior to starting my role at the University, I spent two decades working in Accounting and Management roles in both the private and public sector. For the first ten years I managed an Accounts Department in an Engineering Company. Following this I then moved onto the development of the accounting department within a third Sector Organisation, training volunteers for the different roles within the department.
- Fellow of the Higher Education Academy
- Chartered Management Institute
- International Professional Development Association
- English for Academic Purposes
- PGCE (PCET) - Teaching, Learning and Curriculum (Levels 6 & 7)
- PGCE (PCET) Leadership and Management in Education (Levels 6 & 7)
- PGCE (PCET) Student Mentor and Assessor
- Finance for Business (Level 4)
- Financial Performance Management (Level 5)
- Financial Management for the Hotel Industry (Level 5)
- Accounting and Accounting Software (Level 5)
- Engineering Applications and Study Skills (Level 4)
- Engineering Management (Level 5)
- Academic and Industry Skills (Level 4)
- Research Methods and Professional Development (Level 4)
- Management, Innovation and Sustainability (Level 5)
- Principles of Management for Tourism Organisations (Level 4)
- Professional Development for Sport (Level 5)
- Developing Professional Practice (Level 5)
- Sports Industrial Placement (Level 5)
- Industrial Placements (Business, Tourism, Events) (Level 5)
- Applied Internship (Level 6)
- Workplace Culture and its Impact on Organisational Efficiency (Level 5)
- Emergent Leadership Skills for the Workplace (Level 6)
- Leading and Implementing Workplace Change (Level 6)
- International Business Communication (Level 6)
- Developing Relationships and Workplace Achievement (Level 5)
- Dissertation supervisor for Sport related research (Level 6)
My pedagogical research interests relate to the role of feedback in supporting learner progression, with particular emphasis on mathematics and accounting based modules. This links closely to my Master thesis which focused heavily on Assessment for Learning and Developing thinking within Higher Education programmes.
My other research interests include the role, benefits and equity of placement provision within HE. Further focus looks at how placements support and enhance the employability of the students studying on the Sport, Tourism, Events, Business Management and Accounting programmes.
- Accounting and Finance
- Management and Leadership
- Placement and Internship
I have undertaken several consultancy roles related to the introduction of accountancy processes within voluntary organisations. I have also worked as a consultant within the University International Office, with a focus upon assessment practices.