Matthew Archer MSc (Distinction) Product Design BA (Hons) Design & Technology
Tel: +44 (0) 792 481160
Programme Director for School of Industrial Design Masters Portfolio
- 1993: MSc (Distinction) Product Design, University of the West of England
- 1988: BA (Hons) Design & Technology, Loughborough University
- 2002–to Date: Senior Lecturer, School of Industrial Design
- 2000–2002: Lecturer, Faculty of Applied Design & Engineering
- 1994–2000: Part-time Lecturer
- 2011– to Date: Institute of Sustainable Design (P/T secondment)
- 1998–2002: Principal Designer, Ideas Centre, SMU
- 1995–1998: Product Designer, Medical Technology Transfer Centre, SIHE
- Design Practice & Sustainability
- Application|Integration of CAD & Rapid Prototyping
Undergraduate Programmes Modules
- BA Product Design
- BSc Product Design
- L4 – Product Design 1
- L4 – Design Prototyping
- L5 – Design for Sustainability
- L5 – Product Simulation & Analysis
- L6 – External Product
- L6 – Major Project
Postgraduate Programmes Modules
- MA Product Design & Innovation
- MA Transportation Design
- MSc Industrial Design
- L7 – Rapid Product Development
- L7 – Design Exploration
- L7 – Major Project
The relationship between Product Sustainability & Digital Prototyping
- Digital Prototyping Technologies & Design within the Virtual Environment
- Product Sustainability
Expertise in the breakage, replacement, repair and analysis of Automotive Glass in collaboration with Belron Technical Ltd, which has resulted in two patents being published.
Patents Title: W0038916A1: Repair of Flaws or Voids in Bodies
Surface damage or flaws (particularly cracks in vehicle windscreens) are repaired using apparatus having a walled bore which surrounds the surface flaw or damage, and a vacuum port communicating through the wall to the bore permitting a region at or adjacent the open end of the bore to be at least partially evacuated of air/gas. A plunger is movable along the bore to urge filler material (resin or the like) into the damage or flaw. A reservoir holds the filler material, which is subsequently dispensed from the reservoir to be introduced to the surface flaw or damage via a flowpath defined through the plunger.
Patent Title: W09739879A1: Damage Repair
A flaw or void in a body is repaired by infilling the flaw or void with a repair material and applying high frequency vibration to act on the body, the high frequency vibration being delivered via a vibration delivery probe of a rigid material.
Commercial Contracts: 1995–to Date:
Industrial collaboration research & consultancy projects with Industry, focusing on Product Research, Design, Development, Evaluation, Surveys & Analysis, Conceptual Design & Prototyping, CAD Modelling and Design for Manufacture.
Maxess Ltd: Arrestor Harness Analysis
High Torque Fasteners Ltd: 3D Modelling of complex components
ICN Photonics Ltd: Hair Depilation Ruby Laser: Design & Development
Kartray: In car tray unit: Design & Prototype
Nimbus Technology Ltd: Bar Code Scanner: Design & Development
Frio: Insulin Syringe Holder: Design & Development
Montagne Jeunesse: Soda Quick Gas Valve Analysis
Whiterock Ltd: DIY Products: Design & Development
Nick Holland Design Group: Exercise Equipment: Concept Design
2010: The Benefits of 3D Printing, GAIM Conference, Swansea
2007: Archer MD & Dawson E
The Transfer of History into Design.
Cumulus: Crossing Boundaries Conference, Schwäbisch Gmünd.
2004: Archer MD & Wyatt C
The Relationship Between Design, Entrepreneurship And Society.
Cumulus: International Conference on Design Processes and Design Education In Entrepreneurship, Oslo School of Architecture, Oslo.
2004: Donne KE, Payne C, Archer M & Thomas R
Computer modelling of Novel Fastener Systems.
5th International conference on Quality Reliability & Maintenance (IMechE), St Edmund Hall, University of Oxford
- 2012: HE STEM Learning and Teaching Enhancement Grant-£2300
- 2010–Date: External Examiner, University of Central Lancashire
- 2006–2010: External Examiner, Middlesex University
- 2006–2012: Eco Design Centre, Project Liaison Coordinator
- 2003–Date: Senior Lecturer (P/T), Swansea University
- 2005–2009: Design Wales: Project Liaison Coordinator
- 2005–2008: Corus Consumer Products: Project Liaison Coordinator