Matthew James PGCTHE, BA (Hons), MA, MSc
Lecturer in Sports Management
Tel: 01792 481025
- Part-time Lecturer contributing to the delivery of the portfolio of undergraduate Sports Management, Events and Tourism management degree programmes.
- Level 6 year tutor for Sports Management degree programme.
I have over twenty years of work experience in the public, private and voluntary sectors in England and Wales, including a variety of senior roles in sports development and sports management.
I previously worked in Higher Education at Sheffield University from 2002-2007, and I also lecture in Sport Management at the Cardiff Metropolitan University.
- Fellow of Higher Education Academy
- Member of the Chartered Institute for the Management of Sport and Physical Activity (CIMSPA)
- Chairperson of Brecknock and Radnor Sports Partnership.
Currently leading the delivering of following modules:
- Health, Exercise and Society (level 4)
- Global Cultural Sporting Environment (level 5)
- Sports Development and Entrepreneurship (level 6)
- And contributing to:
- Sports Industry Research Project (level 6)
- Dissertation (level 6)
Main research interests are grassroots sports volunteering and the management of sports event volunteers. Recently part of an Erasmus+ funded study of volunteering and social inclusion in sport, comparing knowledge across ten EU member states. Previously contributed to national survey of sports volunteering in England (2002) and a study of volunteering in netball in England (2006).
Recently undertaken surveys of sports event volunteers at 2017 Champions League Final, 2018 Volvo Ocean Race, 2019 Solheim Cup Final, and 2019 Homeless World Cup.
I am a sports management and sports development professional with 15 years of work experience in the voluntary and public sector.
J. Corthouts, E. Thibaut, C. Breuer, S. Feiler, M. James, R. Llopis-Goig, S. Perényi & J. Scheerder (2020) Social inclusion in sports clubs across Europe: determinants of social innovation, Innovation: The European Journal of Social Science Research, 33:1, 21-51, DOI: 10.1080/13511610.2019.1637247
Nichols, G. and James, M. (2017). Social Inclusion and Volunteering in Sports Clubs in Europe; findings for policy makers and practitioners in England and Wales. [Online] Available at: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/management/staff/nichols/index
Nichols, G. and James, M. (2008). One size does not fit all: implications of sports club diversity for their effectiveness as a policy tool and government support, Managing Leisure, 13, 2, 104-114.
P. Taylor, M. James, G. Nichols, K. Holmes, L. King and R. Garrett. (2007). Facilitating organisational effectiveness among volunteers in sport, Voluntary Action, 8, 3.
I organised the October 2017 Research Seminar at Sport Wales on behalf of the Sports Volunteering Research Network.