Dr Nicola J. Whitehead
Dr Nicola J. Whitehead B.Sc, PGCE (PCET), M.Sc, Ph.D, MBCS.
Lecturer in Applied Computing
Tel: +44 (0) 1792 481000
I currently teach the first year module in Systems Analysis & Design, the second year module in Research methods, the third year module in Data Warehousing for Business Intelligence, and the postgraduate modules in Research Methods and in Data Mining.
I am Portfolio Director for the combined Computing Portfolio.
- Visiting Lecturer (Computer Science) – School of Computing, Newport Business School (2010-2011)
- Head of School (School of IT) – Faculty of Business & Science, University of Akureyri, Iceland (2006-2010)
- Deputy Head of Science (Department of Science) – Faculty of Business & Science, University of Akureyri, Iceland (2008-2010)
- Vice-Dean – Faculty of Business & Science, University of Akureyri, Iceland (2008-2009)
- Lecturer (Computer Science) – Faculty of Information Technology, University of Akureyri, Iceland (2004-2006)
- Lecturer (Computer Science) – School of Computing, The Robert Gordon University in Aberdeen (2002-2004)
- Software Engineering & Capability Improvement Consultant – TelesensKSCL (2000-2002)
- GIS/Survey systems administrator – Mason Land Surveys Ltd. (1997-2002)
- Member of the BCS, the Interaction Design Foundation and the Association for Astrostatistics.
- STEM Ambassador.
Previous undergraduate modules taught:
- Data Centric Windows Programming (SMU)
- Data Visualisation (UNAK)
- Human-Computer Interaction (UNAK)
- Java Programming (UNAK)
- Functional Programming (UNAK)
- Computing Skills (UNAK – local and distance learning)
- Database Design & Development (UNAK)
- Introduction to Database (RGU)
- Database Operations (RGU)
Previous postgraduate modules taught:
- Maths for Computer Science (UWiN)
- Software Engineering (UWiN)
- Database Design (UWiN)
- Database Design & Development (RGU – online)
- Database Design & Programming (RGU)
- Human-Computer Interaction (RGU)
- 12 successful MSc project supervisions.
- C++ Programming
- Delphi Programming
- Object-Oriented Design
- SQL*Plus and PL/SQL Programming
- Requirements Management with Rational Rose
- Unix Scripting
- CAD Operations (Bentley Microstation)
- GIS Operations (Bentley GeoGraphics/GeoOutlook)
- Data visualisation
- Human-computer interaction
- Data mining (astrostatistics)
Usability consultant for the Arctic Portal, a project supporting the Arctic Council’s organisational, political and scientific activities. I was involved initially at the planning stage and continued as a member of the technical committee responsible for the design and implementation of the portal itself.
Usability consultant for the Iceland Express airline, including performing a full usability audit of their web site and web-based airline booking system. As a result of changes to their website suggested by this audit the company won the “Best Website” Budgie Low Cost Airlines Award for 2007, a title awarded based upon the information content and usability of the company’s website.
“Teaching Systems Modelling Using Fluxx®”
Whitehead, N.J. Proceedings, 6th International Conference of Education, Research and Innovation, 18th-20th November 2013, Seville.
“Teaching Use Case Modelling Using Fluxx®.”
Whitehead, N.J. Proceedings, 1st Annual Conference on the Aiming for Excellence in STEM Learning and Teaching, 12-13 April 2012, London.
“The Use of Assessment Grids in Teaching Database Modelling with Mixed-Language Postgraduate Students.”
Whitehead, N.J. Poster, Proceedings, 1st Annual Conference on the Aiming for Excellence in STEM Learning and Teaching, 12-13 April 2012, London.
“RAVEN - a random access visualization and exploration network for the analysis of petabyte-sized data sets.”
M. Schmelling, N.Whitehead, N. Gagunashvili, M. Britsch, H. Neukirchen, H.K. Gudmundsson,
Proceedings of the 4th International Conference on Distributed Computing and Grid-Technologies in Science and Education, June 28-July 3, 2010, Dubna, Russia, JINR, D-11-2010-140, ISBN 978-5-9530-0269-1, 98-103, 2010
“RSS as a New International e-Marketing Opportunity.”
Ingi Rúnar Eðvarðsson and Nik J. Whitehead
Int. J. Technology Marketing, Vol. 3, No. 3, 2008, pp 293-303.
"An ambient, personalised, and context-sensitive information system for mobile users".
Ayse Göker, Stuart Watt, Hans I. Myrhaug, Nik Whitehead, Murat Yakici, Ralf Bierig, Sree Kanth Nuti and Hannah Cumming.
Proceedings of the 2nd European Union symposium on Ambient intelligence. pp. 19 - 24. 2004
AmbieSense - A System and Reference Architecture for Personalised Context-Sensitive Information Services for Mobile Users
Hans Myrhaug, Nik Whitehead, Ayse Goker, Tor Erlend Faegri and Christopher Till Lech
Proceedings, EUSAI 2004
Trend-detector – A Fixation Detection Approach to Deriving Trends in Real-Time ICU Monitor Data
Apkar Salatien & Nik Whitehead
Proceedings, Eighth IASTED international Conference on Artificial Intelligence and Soft Computing, 1-5, 2004