Mrs Rachel Wallis BSc, PGCE, MA
Lead in Primary Mathematics and Numeracy
Tel: +44 (0) 1792 482039
- Leading teaching and learning strategy in mathematics and numeracy on Primary BA Ed and Primary PGCE
- Module Lead on PGCE and BA Ed
- Assessment Officer for Primary PGCE
- Extenuating Circumstances Officer for SWWCTE
A primary classroom teacher for fifteen years, during which time I was also a Key Stage 2 manager, mathematics co-ordinator and a leading mathematics teacher for a London local authority before moving into Initial Teacher Education and Training.
I now lead primary mathematics and numeracy across the BA Ed and PGCE programmes. This role involves leading the teaching on mathematics and numeracy and planning for personal and professional numeracy development for trainees (both in university and when in schools).
Member of National Numeracy Expert Panel for Wales – which acts as a steering group for national numeracy development
UCET Cymru Literacy and Numeracy Working Party
- Learning and Teaching in the Primary School
- Ensuring Pupil Progress
- Teachers, Schools and the Wider Community
- Professional Teaching Experiences
BA Ed (with QTS)
- Teaching Language and Mathematics and Developing Professional Interest in Mathematics
My main research interests involve:
- Young children’s learning of number concepts
- The use of representations in mathematics
- Motivation and mathematics
- Perceptions about mathematics and numeracy
I have researched young children’s learning of mathematics as part of my Master’s.
I have also researched trainee teachers’ perceptions about mathematics numeracy.