UWTSD Home  -  The University  -  Professional Services  -  Student Services  -  Mental Health Advisory Service

The mental health advisors provide a specialist service which enables students to manage their difficulties and to co-ordinate the range of support available within the University and the community; they can suggest strategies to help students to overcome the problems which affect their ability to learn effectively.

The service is free and confidential and is provided by qualified professionals who adhere to an ethical framework provided by the 'Nursing and Midwifery Council' and is available to all current students.

Studying at university can be stressful and can affect your mental wellbeing. Therefore two levels of service are available to students; following an initial assessment, up to six appointments can be offered, or, for enduring difficulties such as depression, anxiety, schizophrenia or bi-polar disorder on-going support or equipment may be required to enable students to manage their studies. These students are entitled to the Disabled Students' Allowance (DSA).

What we can do:

  • Listen
  • Offer advice, support and information
  • Help in a crisis situation
  • Help you apply for the Disabled Student Allowance (DSA)
  • Co-ordinate with services in the community i.e. NHS, Social Services and voluntary organisations
  • Communicate with the Accommodation Officer and Faculties to have additional needs taken into consideration
  • Liaise with academic staff to improve their understanding of how difficulties can affect individuals and how they can support you.

90.4% of UWTSD students were satisfied with ‘Counselling’ in the Global ISBSB, Autumn Wave 2015.

Appointments to see the Mental Health Advisors can be made by contacting the reception desk in Student Services on each campus.

Carmarthen Campus
01267 676 830

Lampeter Campus
01570 424 876

Swansea Campus
01792 481 206

For students who feel they would benefit from talking through any issues that are worrying them, the Counselling ServiceCounselling Service is available. If you are aware of any additional needs or disability then contact Services for Disabled Students for the information.

For additional support beyond the Universities services, please see the Useful Links section for a full list of help and support from outside agencies.