At the University of Wales Trinity Saint David all Central Units and core Infrastructure IT Equipment is purchased through the Information Technology & Systems central IT budget.
The University has put in place a number of agreements which cover the following areas: PCs, Notebooks, Microsoft Software and Apple Mac equipment. These Agreements have been negotiated with suppliers to offer a competitive price with maintenance and support.
Requests for new Equipment
Any requests for new IT equipment have to come through the Service Desk. The management of such purchases is essential to ensure that the University not only achieves value for money on IT equipment but that all IT equipment is compatible with our IT infrastructure and that there is a need for the equipment in relation to meeting the Universities strategic aims.
Funds for Purpose
The only occasion whereby IT equipment is not purchased through the centralised IT budget is FFP (Funds for Purpose). This is where there is specific project money that is allocated for IT equipment.
Although not paying for the IT equipment, the orders still need to go through the Service desk so that compatibility and value for money is still achieved.
The procedure for purchasing IT equipment via FFP is as follows:
- IT Service Desk call logged with details of the equipment required including supplier details and costs. Also included are the cost codes and project codes to be used for purchase and confirmation given that there are available funds in the project budget.
- Service Desk confirms purchase meets the specifications required and completes/updates requisition form and returns to user
- User contacts departmental Finance inputter and details are inputted onto the Finance system
- Budget Holder approves order via Portal and the PO is automatically sent to inputter
- User obtains the PO from the departmental inputter and sends to the Service Desk for the order to be placed
Please note that FFP purchases are not part of the Universities 5 year rolling replacement program.
Personal IT Hardware & Software Purchasing
If you would like to purchase computer hardware or software for your own personal use, you can use the following methods. The benefits are that you will receive the same discounts as the University.
1) For Windows based PCs:
Tel: 01785 786 888 email: firstname.lastname@example.org
2) For Apple products, follow the link below. When prompted for region, select Wales, then select University of Wales Trinity Saint David.
Please note that purchasing from Apple can only be done from either Staff or Student workstations or via devices connected to the wireless CampusNet network.
With Microsoft's new Advantage scheme, we're now able to provide Microsoft Office 365 Pro Plus to all Students and Staff for no charge. Visit http://www.uwtsd.ac.uk/studentadvantage/ for more information.
What's included with Office 365 ProPlus subscription license?
- PC and Laptops running Windows: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Access, Publisher, Outlook, Lync & InfoPath (Office 2013 base applications)
- Apple Mac: Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook (Office 2011 for Mac base applications)
- Apple iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote, Lync
- Andriod: Office Mobile (Word, Excel & PowerPoint), OneNote, Outlook Web Access, Lync
- Windows Phone 8: Word, Excel, PowerPoint, OneNote
As part of our licensing agreements with software vendors, Staff are licensed to obtain copies of some software for use at home either for free or for a small charge. The University currently has an online ‘store’ where staff can register (using their @uwtsd.ac.uk email address) and securely download the relevant software required.
The following list shows some of the products available but is not exhaustive. Please follow the link at the bottom of the email for a full selection.
- · Windows 7 Professional
- · Windows 7 Ultimate
- · Windows 8 Professional
- · Windows 8.1 Professional
- · Windows 10 Education
- · Office 2013
- · Office 2011 for Mac
- · Office 2010
Download cost is £7.15 (excl. vat) each, payable to Microsoft to enable use at home. This is considerably cheaper than purchasing the software from normal retail outlets. (A hard copy “backup disc” may also be ordered for an additional £8.95.)
Adobe Creative Cloud
This free download gives you 1 year’s subscription to the full range of creative desktop apps for digital imaging, design, web, and video, plus online services.
- · Photoshop® CC
- · Illustrator® CC
- · InDesign® CC
- · Dreamweaver® CC
- · After Effects® CC
- · Adobe® Premiere® Pro CC
- · Adobe Muse™ Pro CC
Simply visit the following link http://trinitysaintdavid.ac.onthehub.com from any internet connected PC and follow the instructions below:
- Click on “Sign in”
- Click on “Register”
- Enter your University email account (only @tsd.ac.uk email accounts are valid) and click continue
- Enter your name and choose a Password
- Select “Staff” from the drop down menu under “Choose a Group….”
- Click continue
- A confirmation email to activate your account will be sent to your @tsd.ac.uk email account
- Log into your @tsd.ac.uk email and click the confirmation link
- You can now login to the site and purchase the software
- Once you are logged in simply choose the software you wish to purchase and add it to your basket. Click checkout when you are finished to begin payment – the site accepts PayPal, Visa, MasterCard and American Express.
Please also take a moment to read the agreements by which you are covered for this software. In summary you are only licensed for the software whilst you are an employee at UWTSD and that the software must be removed if you are no longer employed by the University.