Dr Tyra Oseng-Rees
Dr Tyra Oseng-Rees BA(hons), PhD
Senior Research Associate
Tel: 01792 481 241
Materials research in design and applied arts, development of research partnerships and teaching undergraduate and post graduate Art and Design Modules.
- 2009: PhD, Industrial Design, ‘Physical and Aesthetic Properties of Fused Recycled Bottle Glass’ University of Wales, Swansea Metropolitan University
- 2004: BA (hons) Industrial Design, Swansea Institute of Higher Education
- 2002: (HND) Product Design, Oslo and AkershusUniversity College of Applied Sciences (HiOA), Norway
- 2000: Psychology and Philosophy, University of Bergen (UiB), Norway
- 1998: Arts Craft and Design Studies, Bodin College, Norway
- 2015-present: Senior Research Associate, Materials and Process Research, CIRIC, Swansea College of Art, UWTSD
- 2012-2015: Research in Sustainable Design, ISD, UWTSD
- 2009-2012: Senior Research Associate in Fabrications and Cutting Centre, Swansea Metropolitan University
- 2008: Lecturing: Reaching Wider, Art and Design Summer University, Swansea University
- 2005-2008: Part time Lecturing: Automotive, Product and Industrial Design, Swansea Metropolitan University
Tyra was awarded her PhD in Industrial Design in 2009. The research involved investigating into the properties of fused recycled bottle glass. The aesthetic features such as colour and texture development were key components along with an objective assessment based on end-user and consumer feedback. Material testing such as third point bend test, stain testing, photo-elastic stress analysis etc. was also imperative for the investigation.
She is currently working as a Senior Research Associate developing new applications and manufacturing processes using recycled glass. She also has a great interest in collaborating with the architects, artists and engineers to meet building specifications for indoor and outdoor installations and to develop research partnerships with other academic institution.
- Glass / Recycled glass
- Product design
- Interdisciplinary collaboration
- Creative problem solving
- Composite manufacture
- Non Destructive Testing (NDT)
- Material testing
- Slip-casting/mould making
- Automotive clay modelling
- Event organisation
- 2012-2015: Project officer and researcher at ISD - Institute for Sustainable Design
- 2009-2012: Researched Composites Manufacture and CNC Mould Design
- 2009-2012: Researcher at KTC Project Work – Cutting and Fabrication Centre
- 2009-2012: Researcher at KTC Project Work – Non Destructive Testing
- Jan-July 2008: Commissioned by Grŵp Gwalia to develop recycled glass interior tiles which were installed at their sustainable development at the Maritime Swansea Waterfront SA1 development.
- Nov 2008: Static and dynamic testing of laminated windshields, Commercial research, experimental aspect in a commercial project investigating the propagation of cracked laminated glass test plates, Swansea Metropolitan University
Oseng-Rees, T. & Donne, K., 2015, Innovation and development of a new recycled glass material. Glass Technology:European Journal of Glass Science and Technology Part A.,Vol 56 No 2, April.pp. 43-51, ISSN 1753-3546
Oseng-Rees, T. E., Donne K. E., Bender, R. and Brown, R. D. H., 2014, Developing design criteria for fused recycled glass tiles, Craft Research, Intellect Journals, Vol 5, No 1, pp. 55–79, ISSN 2040-4689
Oseng, T., 2015, Exploring the Aesthetic Potential for Fused Recycled Glass, Glass Reflections, Glass in the Year of Light, Society of Glass Technology Annual Conference, University of Cambridge
Dr. Oseng-Rees, T., & Dr. Shelley Doolan., 2015, Challenges & critique of project work, INSPIRE’s ‘Education for Sustainability and Global Citizenship’ (ESDGC), Swansea Business School, UWTSD, Swansea.
Oseng-Rees, T., 2013, Development of a new architectural material from recycled bottle glass & Knowledge transfer from academia to the industry, iSustain Symposium, Does it pay to be green?, National Waterfront Museum, ISD, UWTSD, Swansea.
Bender, R., Dr Brown, R., Prof Donne, K. & Dr. Oseng, T., 2009, Objective assessment of recycled glass for architectural application, Glass Performance Days, Tampere, Finland.
Conference proceedings: International
Oseng, T., and Thomas, R., 2011, Innovation and Creativity in Recycling Plastics and Glass, 13th International Conference on Modern Information Technology in the Innovation Processes of industrial enterprises, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway.
Williams, O., Oseng, T., Thomas, R., Donne, K., and Powell, D., 2011, The Application of Lean Thinking to the Prototype Design and Manufacture of Motorsport Composite Structures, 13th International Conference on Modern Information Technology in the Innovation Processes of industrial enterprises, Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU), Trondheim, Norway.
Oseng, T., Williams, O., Thomas, R., Donne, K., Williams, D. and Morrow, P., 2010, Quality implications of concept design to prototype manufacture of low cost composite automotive panel, 7th International Conference, Quality, Reliability and Maintenance (QRM), Swansea, UK.
Oseng. T., Donne, K., Bender. R., and Thomas. R., 2010, Experimental Evaluation of Quality Metrics in the Commercial Use of Recycled Bottle Glass, 7th International Conference, Quality, Reliability and Maintenance (QRM), Swansea, UK.
Brewster, H.,E., & Oseng, T., E., 2007, The Role of Women in Design, Transferring Knowledge within Design, Cumulus, Crossing Boundaries, Schwäbisch Gmünd, Germany.
Bender, R., Brown, R.D.H., Jenkins, S., McCartan, S. & Oseng, T.E., 2006, Some Properties of Recycled Bottle-Glass, 8th ESG Conference of Glass Science and Technology, University of Sunderland, UK.
Conference proceedings: National
Dr. Oseng, T., Prof. Donne, K., & Bender, R., 2009, Physical and Aesthetic Properties of Fused Recycled Bottle Glass, Making Futures: the crafts in the context of emerging global sustainability agendas, Plymouth, UK, Vol 1, ISSN 2042-1664 257.
Dr. Oseng, T., Prof. Donne, K., Bender, R. & Thomas, R., 2009, The suitability of using photoelastic stress measurement equipment and four point bend test of fused recycled bottle glass, Society of Glass Technology Annual Conference, University of Lancaster, UK.
Oseng, T.,E., 2009, Physical and Aesthetic Properties of Fused Recycled Bottle Glass, Parallels and Connections 09, The Institute of International Research in Glass (IIRG), University of Sunderland, UK.
2010 “Exhibiting recycled glass tiles” Glynn Vivian Art Gallery, Swansea, A glimpse
Into the Archives, 75th Anniversary of the Welsh School of Architectural Glass.
2008 “Interior decoration showcase” Gwalia Housing - SA1 development, Opening of Show flat, presenting interior tiles developed during PhD research.
2006 “Colour samples developed using recycled glass” New Designers, London
Exhibiting Ongoing Work on Recycled Glass.
2005 “Visualising internal stressed recycled glass samples through polarized light”
New Designers, London, Exhibiting preliminary results in recycled glass.
2004 “The Guideline” New Designers, London, Recycled glass and concrete paving slabs installation.
Established, created and organised
- iSustain Symposium 2013, Does it Pay to be Green?
- 2nd iSustain Symposium 2015, Better Business Through Sustainable Design
- 2015, iSustain Award Gala Dinner
She also designed the award trophy for the iSustain Award 2015 using recycled glass material with waterjet cutting.