IT&S Coronavirus update
17.05.2021 Update - We are currently operating within Phase 3 of our Reopening Plan
The Service Delivery Team are working within strict guidance of UWTSD and Welsh Government policies, and in accordance with sector guidance. We are committed to the phased reopening of our IT Service Desk locations with our main priority being the safety and wellbeing of our students, staff, and guests.
We are working hard to ensure that we will be able to provide relevant support to those that need it throughout each phase of our re-opening process, whilst ensuring everyone is safe during each phase, by implementing carefully planned processes to mitigate any risks.
Find out what services will be available throughout each phase of our reopening within our 'IT Service Desk Phased Reopening Plan' below.
The Service Delivery team will be providing a hybrid service for the 20/21 academic year, with primary services being delivered online/remotely. Our plan to reopen is based on a 4-phase approach without any fixed dates and follows a progressive pattern. Each phase will be subject to review and adaptation as they are designed to test and verify the safety of all services.
Online only - The Service Delivery Team will be available online providing full support, advice, and guidance to all students, staff and guests remotely. IT Service Desks on campus to remain closed.
- All support to be conducted remotely
- Users to raise support requests by telephoning 0300 500 5055 or by raising a ticket using Web Help Desk
- Investment in remote support technology to provide the ability to connect to student, staff and guest devices to aid support
- Limited staff & student loan devices available
Planning & Preparation - Phase One services maintained in addition to:
- Working with the ‘Welcome & Induction’ group to create digital induction & welcome content for students
- Confirming Staff Capacity modelling & completing Risk Assessments.
- Establishing protocols, guidelines and procedures for Service Delivery staff when returning to campus including PPE, cleaning & sanitising equipment, and the preparation of IT Service Desk locations for the next phase
- Emergency only Service Delivery staff on campus to perform critical maintenance and repairs to key university systems
Limited On-Campus IT Support - Phases 1 & 2 services maintained in addition to:
- Limited Service Delivery staff on campus to provide emergency support to on campus lectures & provide local support for issues which cannot be completed remotely
- Students, staff and guests to raise support requests by telephoning 0300 500 5055 or by raising a ticket using Web Help Desk. If support cannot be completed remotely, a technician will attend where possible
- The introduction of a limited appointment only IT Support Service at our Lampeter, Carmarthen & SA1 campuses. Appointments will only be available if the issue cannot be resolved remotely
- Regular Computer Lab and Lecture Room checks to ensure equipment is working correctly
Limited Opening of IT Service Desk Locations - Phases 1 – 3 services maintained in addition to:
- Phased re-opening of on-campus IT Service Desk locations providing limited support from our IT Service Desks in Lampeter, Carmarthen & Swansea
- Rigorous social distancing measures, controlled queuing systems operating within safe occupancy guidance
- Campus specific plans
- Continuous monitoring, feedback & evaluation
Currently, our IT Service Desk locations remain closed however, the Service Delivery Team will be available online providing full support, advice, and guidance to all users remotely.
We also provide 24/7/365 support, to find out how to contact us visit our IT Service Desk information page.
Although our campus IT Service Desk locations remain closed, the Service Delivery Team will be available online providing full support, advice, and guidance to all users remotely. We will endeavour to arrange an on-site technician to attend any emergency issues which we are not able to resolve remotely.
We have also introduced contact posters within lecture rooms with information guiding lecturers that require urgent lecture room support to telephone us on 0300 500 5055 from the lecture room telephone for priority support.
We also provide 24/7/365 support via telephone on 0300 500 5055. To find out more ways to contact us visit our Student Hwb information page.
We have several of Open Access computer suites across our campuses available for student use and understand the importance of students being able to access these resources.
Please be aware that due to coronavirus, some campus locations remain closed and therefore please check our 'Open Access PC Locations' section within our Computer Rooms information webpage for up to date information on which Open Access computer suites are currently available and which remain closed.
We have several Multi-Functional Devices (MFDs) across our campuses available for student use and understand the importance of students being able to print.
Please be aware that due to coronavirus, some campus locations remain closed and therefore please check our 'Locations' section within our UWTSD Print information webpage for up to date information on which printers are currently available and which remain closed.
Student Loan Laptops
IT&S currently provide self-service laptop loans from our Lapsafe solution located in the IQ building in Swansea, SA1. Our Lapsafe solution in Y Fforwm is currently closed.
Student laptop loans from various Library locations however will only be available to loan in line with the Library's reopening plan. Please visit the Library's webpage for further information.
Staff Loan Laptops
IT&S provide a limited number of loan laptops for staff, for more information please contact us to see how we can help.
Student Access to Adobe Creative Cloud...
Students studying on eligible courses can request free access to Adobe Creative Cloud suite which can be installed on their personal device during their studies.
If you require access to Adobe Creative Cloud, please complete the below steps and we will be in contact with you to confirm if you are eligible:
- Visit Web Help Desk to raise a support ticket
- Login with your UWTSD email address & password
- Under 'Request Type' select Select
- 'Request for Software & Drivers' & then select
- 'Student Adobe CC'
- Confirm your:
- Contact Number
- Name of Course
- Course Expected Completion Year
- Location then click 'Save' your request
Monthly Subscriptions: You can purchase a copy of Adobe Creative Cloud directly from Adobe's Website and save over 65% discount paying on a monthly basis.
Staff Access to Adobe Creative Cloud for Free...
As a member of UWTSD staff, you can access Adobe Creative Cloud on your personal device for free.
To install Adobe CC on your personal device:
- Visit the Adobe website
- Type your UWTSD email address & click "Continue"
- Select "Company or School Account" & enter your UWTSD password
Online Lectures & Meetings | Access PC's & Specialist Software | Software on your Personal Device
Online Lectures - In certain circumstances, there may be a requirement for lectures to be delivered from home or away from campus. Here you can find out what methods are available to enable you to teach & learn away from campus.
One key focus is to allow students to access timetabled computer lab sessions virtually if they cannot attend campus in person. The aim is to provide an alternative learning experience and still maintain access to UWTSD resources (including specialist software) via a remote workstation connection, giving increased flexibility in uncertain times.
Open Access PC's - Our new Remote PC solution will also provide access for students to log into Open Access PC’s so that students are still able to access specialist software outside of their formal study time if they're unable to attend campus or if their lecture is being held virtually.
Find out more by visiting our Online Teaching & Learning webpage.