UWTSD participates in many surveys and league tables; the results of the most recent releases can be seen below.
The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey
UWTSD received some excellent results in The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2016, reinforcing the personal teaching and learning experience the University offers:=8th for high-quality staff/lectures
=8th for helpful/interested staff
=5th for good personal relationship with teaching staff
=6th for tuition in small groups.
The Student Barometer is a survey of student experience.
In the Global International Student Barometer and Student Barometer, Autumn Wave 2016, UWTSD ranked #1 out of 45 institutions for:
- Quality Lectures
- Class Size
- Personal Tutors
- Counselling Service.
National Student Survey
The National Student Survey (NSS) gathers opinions from final year students regarding the experience of their course.
UWTSD received a 5% increase in overall student satisfaction from 2015 to 2016. In the NSS 2016, UWTSD had overall satisfaction scores of 100% in:
- Applied Psychology
- BA (Hons) 3D Computer Animation
- BA (Hons) Creative Computer Games Design
- BA (Hons) Advertising and Brand Design
- Plentyndod Cynnar (Early Years Education)
- Social Care Studies.
Guide League Table
The Complete University Guide produce annual league tables and rankings by university and subject.
UWTSD received some excellent rankings in the Complete University Guide 2017; the highlights were:
- UWTSD ranked 1st in Wales for Art & Design.
- Social Work at UWTSD ranked 4th in the UK for student satisfaction.
- Celtic Studies at UWTSD ranked 6th in the UK.
- Anthropology and Communication & Media Studies at UWTSD ranked 6th in the UK for student satisfaction.
- Classics & Ancient History at UWTSD ranked 7th in the UK for student satisfaction.
- Sport Science at UWTSD ranked 9th in the UK for student satisfaction.
Guardian League Table
The Guardian University Guide has an overall ranking of universities, with additional tables for each of the 53 subject areas listed.
The UWTSD highlights from the 2016 Guardian League Table were:
- UWTSD was ranked 1st in Wales for Film Production and Photography.
- UWTSD was ranked 2nd in Wales for Design and Crafts.
- UWTSD was ranked 3rd in Wales for Mechanical Engineering.
People & Planet University League Table
The People & Planet’s University League is the only comprehensive and independent league table of UK universities ranked by environmental and ethical performance.
UWTSD was awarded ‘First Class’ status in the People & Planet University League Table 2016.
Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education Survey
The Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey asks leavers from higher education what they are doing six months after graduation.
In the 2014/15 DLHE survey:
- 92% of UWTSD’s undergraduate students were in employment and/or further study six months after graduating.
- 97% of UWTSD’s postgraduate students were in employment and/or further study six months after graduating.
Research Excellence Framework 2014
The Research Excellence Framework (REF) is the new system for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions.
In the REF 2014, 60% of UWTSD’s research work was judged to be either outstanding (23.3%) or very considerable (36.7%) in terms of its reach and significance. This demonstrates the strength of the University’s research work and the contribution it makes in seeking solutions to real world challenges.
The full results can be found here.
Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey
The Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES) is the only sector-wide survey to gain insight from taught postgraduate students about their learning and teaching experience.
UWTSD received some excellent results in the 2015 PTES; the highlights were:
- 91% (272/300) of respondents agreed that staff are enthusiastic about what they are teaching.
- 88.2% (253/287) of respondents agreed that they are encouraged to ask questions or make contributions in taught sessions (face to face and/or online).
- 84% (257/306) of respondents agreed that the course is intellectually stimulating.
- 83.3% (255/306) of respondents agreed that the course has enhanced their academic ability.
Postgraduate Research Experience Survey
The Postgraduate Research Experience Survey (PRES) is the only sector-wide survey to gather insight from postgraduate research students about their learning and supervision experience.
UWTSD received some excellent results in the 2015 PRES; the highlights were:
- 89% (146/164) of respondents agreed that their skills in critically analysing and evaluating findings and results have developed during their programme.
- 88% (145/165) of respondents agreed that they understand the required standard for their thesis.
- 88% (146/166) of respondents agreed that they understand their responsibilities as a research degree student.
- 88% (144/164) of respondents agreed that their skills in applying appropriate research methodologies, tools and techniques have developed during their programme.
- 88% (141/160) of respondents agreed that their supervisor/s have the skills and subject knowledge to support their research.