UWTSD participates in many surveys and league tables; the results of the most recent releases can be seen below.
The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey
UWTSD received some excellent results in The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2017, reinforcing the personal teaching and learning experience the University offers:
- Top 20 best UK universities for academic experience.
- =9th in the UK for high-quality staff/lectures, and joint 1st in Wales.
- =13th in the UK for helpful/interested staff.
- =4th in the UK for good personal relationships with teaching staff, and joint 1st in Wales.
- =20th in the UK for tuition in small groups.
The Student Barometer is a survey of student experience.
In the Global International Student Barometer and Student Barometer, Autumn Wave 2016, UWTSD ranked #1 out of 45 institutions for:
- Quality Lectures
- Class Size
- Personal Tutors
- Counselling Service.
National Student Survey
The National Student Survey (NSS) gathers opinions from final year students regarding the experience of their course.
Student satisfaction in 2017 at UWTSD is above the sector and Wales average in:
- Learning opportunities
- Assessment and feedback
- Academic support
- Learning community
- Student voice
- Overall satisfaction.
Guide League Table
The Complete University Guide produce annual league tables and rankings by university and subject.
UWTSD received some excellent rankings in the Complete University Guide 2018; the highlights were:
- 1st in Wales for Anthropology
- 3rd in the UK for student satisfaction in Communication & Media Studies
- 9th in the UK for student satisfaction in Creative Writing
- 7th in the UK for student satisfaction in Hospitality, Leisure, Recreation & Tourism
- 2nd in the UK for student satisfaction in Materials Technology
- 2nd in the UK for student satisfaction in Social Work.
Guardian League Table
The Guardian University Guide has an overall ranking of universities, with additional tables for each of the 53 subject areas listed.
The UWTSD highlights from the 2016 Guardian League Table were:
- UWTSD was ranked 1st in Wales for Film Production and Photography.
- UWTSD was ranked 2nd in Wales for Design and Crafts.
- UWTSD was ranked 3rd in Wales for Mechanical Engineering.
People & Planet University League Table
The People & Planet’s University League is the only comprehensive and independent league table of UK universities ranked by environmental and ethical performance.
UWTSD was awarded ‘First Class’ status in the People & Planet University League Table 2017.
Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education Survey
The Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey asks leavers from higher education what they are doing six months after graduation.
In the 2015/16 DLHE survey:
- 95% of UWTSD’s undergraduate students were in employment and/or further study six months after graduating.
- 100% of UWTSD’s postgraduate students were in employment and/or further study six months after graduating.
Research Excellence Framework 2014
The Research Excellence Framework (REF) is the new system for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions.
In the REF 2014, 60% of UWTSD’s research work was judged to be either outstanding (23.3%) or very considerable (36.7%) in terms of its reach and significance. This demonstrates the strength of the University’s research work and the contribution it makes in seeking solutions to real world challenges.
The full results can be found here.
Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey
The Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES) is the only sector-wide survey to gain insight from taught postgraduate students about their learning and teaching experience.
UWTSD received some excellent results in the 2015 PTES; the highlights were:
- 91% (272/300) of respondents agreed that staff are enthusiastic about what they are teaching.
- 88.2% (253/287) of respondents agreed that they are encouraged to ask questions or make contributions in taught sessions (face to face and/or online).
- 84% (257/306) of respondents agreed that the course is intellectually stimulating.
- 83.3% (255/306) of respondents agreed that the course has enhanced their academic ability.
The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide
The Times & Sunday Times rankings provide the information to allow students to make an informed choice about their higher education.
UWTSD received some excellent rankings in the 2018 results; the highlights were:
- UWTSD ranked 4th in the UK & 1st in Wales for Teaching Quality in Business Studies
- UWTSD ranked 8th in the UK & 1st in Wales for Student Experience in Business Studies
- UWTSD ranked 4th in the UK & 1st in Wales for Teaching Quality in Classics & Ancient History
- UWTSD ranked 9th in the UK and 1st in Wales for Teaching Quality in Computer Science
- UWTSD ranked 1st in Wales for Teaching Quality in History
- UWTSD ranked 1st in Wales for Teaching Quality and Student Experience in Mechanical Engineering.
UWTSD received some excellent results in the Whatuni Student Choice Awards 2017:
- UWTSD climbed over 80 places (the largest increase of all universities) to 43rd out of 127 overall.
- UWTSD ranked 13th for student support.
- UWTSD ranked 19th for course & lecturers.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
The Government has introduced a Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) with the aim of recognising and rewarding excellent learning and teaching.
UWTSD received a Bronze awards which means that based on the evidence available, the TEF Panel judged that the University delivers teaching, learning and outcomes for its students that meet rigorous national quality requirements for UK higher education.
The Panel considered all the information in the provider submission in relation to the TEF criteria and its judgement reflects in particular, evidence of:
- A culture of personalised learning, in small classes, which aims to ensure that students are effectively supported and are challenged to achieve their full potential
- Welsh Medium and Welsh Language education is deployed in ways that support, stretch and challenge the student body
- The involvement of both staff and local employers and relevant professional bodies in relation to course design including work-based learning programmes.