BSc Health and Social Care
UWTSD ranked 7th in the UK for student satisfaction in Social Work - NSS 2017
Health and Social Care is changing in Wales: Health and Social Care services are merging. There has never been a better time to become skilled in the sector.
Do you want to find a career or progress within Health and Social Care?
Do you want to achieve a qualification that will provide opportunities and open doors for you to work within a range of roles within Health and Social Care? Then this is the course for you.
The BSc Health and Social Care is a three year programme structured to enable flexibility in your career. It is also an excellent starting point for those unsure of their employment goals within the sector. We work closely with three health boards and a wide range of local and national organisations to build upon our excellent reputation in preparing you for employment. We also offer a high level of support to help you develop the professional, practical and academic skills needed to succeed.
We offer flexible programmes which work around you and your life as much as possible. All our courses are offered as FULL or PART time programmes. We offer flexibility within all our part-time routes across all our programmes within the Health Portfolio.
The Health and Social Care Programme is offered as a BSc (3 years) and HND (2 years). The programme provides the knowledge and skills needed to work in a range of roles within both health and social care. You will gain an understanding of the external context in which such organisations operate, how they are run, as well as the analytical techniques that can be applied to the development of both sectors.
We can offer you the opportunity to visit the campus and meet the teaching team. We will answer any questions and if required a one to one informal chat can be arranged. Please email the named contact at the top of the screen if you would like to know more.
- Counselling Skills and Communication
- Introduction to Public Health
- Managing Organisations
- Personal and Academic Development
- Psychology in Health and Social Care
- Social Policy in Health and Social Care
- Children Young People and Families
- Complementary Therapies
- Introduction to Physiology
- Introduction to Research
- Principles of Health and Care Practice
- Workplace Practice
- Community Care and Development*
- Continued Professional Development
- Health Portfolio Dissertation*
- Health, Wellbeing and Sustainable Development
- Living With Care: The Older Person
- Mental Disorders and Psychopathology
- Research Project*
This programme offers an academically challenging, vocational experience which incorporates innovative teaching and assessment methods.
The opportunity to take on public or voluntary sector work experience is a key theme throughout all our programmes. We will work with you to find the placement which suits your future goals.
We are proud of our strong student support and study skills development programme. We will also equip you with wider skills such as interview skills, mentoring and life coaching skills within the first year.
The Health Portfolio boasts a high rate of employability within 6 months for graduating students. A number of graduates also progress to postgraduate studies.
Assessments include; essays, exams, reports, presentations, reflective blogs and professional portfolios.
You will be asked to utilise information technology communication and organisational skills for your assignments.
Applicants will require AT LEAST ONE of the following:
- 80 UCAS points or equivalent.
- Or BTEC PASS
- Or at least three years’ experience in related setting (this could include entrance interview and written test depending on your employment experience)
- Or Access Diploma at 45 PASS credits
- Or independent applicant (i.e. over 21 years old) with relevant life experience*
- DBS update system a requirement for ALL UWTSD applicants
*You may be given pathway options in this instance.
We have a very strong employment support and work experience system within the Health Portfolio. We work with three health boards as well as a variety of public and private organisations, companies and charities in the Health Sector within West Wales to build opportunities for all our students.
We also offer short courses for businesses and a Pathway course for applicants with no formal qualifications wishing to enter the sector or higher education*
- BSc Health Management
- HND Health Management
- HND Health and Social Care
- Dip HE Nursing Studies and Health
- FdSc Health and Care of Children and Young People (formerly FdA Children and Young People)
- BSc Health and Care of Children and Young People (formerly BSc Children and Young People)
*subject to validation