UWTSD Home  -  Study With Us  -  Apprenticeships

apprentices gathered in SA1 campus

The Degree Apprenticeship is a new type of award which combines the workplace learning of a traditional apprenticeship with a higher education qualification such as a BSc | BEng | BA | MA.


We are enrolling apprentices to start:

  • October 2020 (induction week 21 September; Engineering 18 September)
  • January 2021

An apprentice is employed by a company to learn the skills, knowledge and behaviours necessary to help both the company and the individual succeed, progress and thrive.  An Apprentice will spend 80% of their time in the workplace; during the remaining 20% of their working week, they study relevant qualifications in an appropriate learning environment.

Degree and Higher Apprenticeships offer a pathway to recognised qualifications and professional competence, combined with practical on-the-job experience.  Apprenticeships offer the opportunity to earn while you learn.

Higher Apprenticeships include programmes of study at levels 4 and/or 5.

The first step in applying for an Apprenticeship is to find an employer who is recruiting Apprentices in the area that you want to study; however you don’t need to be a new recruit to start an Apprenticeship programme, you and your employer may be looking to develop your skills further. Apprenticeships are all age programmes.

To access a Higher or Degree Apprenticeship you need to have qualifications at level 3 (A level, BTEC Diploma) or relevant experience in the workplace.  Some programmes have specific entry requirements.  

A Higher or Degree Apprenticeship is an excellent progression opportunity for people who have completed a level 3 apprenticeship programme, HNC or HND already.  

If you already have extensive prior experience or relevant qualifications then you can submit a Recognition of Prior Learning claim which may mean that you need not complete some of the modules.

Apprenticeship programmes are fully funded, so you will not pay any fees.

UWTSD offers degree apprenticeships in England and Wales funded by ESFA and HEFCW.  The apprentice will complete both a degree and an additional work-based assessment. The courses are validated to ensure that they meet employer requirements.  

British Computer Society accredited degree logo                    STEM Logo

institute explosive engineers logo        engineering council logo

 

UWTSD works with a number of partner organisations to deliver Higher Apprenticeships.


How to apply

To follow an Apprenticeship programme, you will need to be in employment. Follow the page links below to apply online.

If you are already employed you should ask your employer about apprenticeships as a development opportunity.

For information about other vacancies:


Degree Apprenticeships available

UWTSD is offering a range of Degree Apprenticeships for 2020-2021 including:

Archaeological Specialist (January 2021)

Digital

  • Applied Cybersecurity Management
  • Applied Data Science
  • Applied Software Engineering
  • Cloud Computing

Engineering

  • Advanced Manufacturing Operations
  • Manufacturing Systems Engineering
  • Materials Science
  • Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering

Ordnance Munitions and Explosives Professional (Level 6)

  • Research and Development
  • Manufacturing and Processing
  • Test and Evaluation
  • Safety
  • Breakdown and Disposal

Police Constable

Higher Apprenticeships


Register Your Interest

(please state course)

Register


For employers

UWTSD offers Degree Apprenticeships funded by the Welsh Government and ESFA, and is a Registered End Point Assessment Organisation for degree apprenticeships.

Further Information


Contact the Apprenticeship Unit

Prentsiathau / Apprenticeships with swirlEmail: apprenticeships@uwtsd.ac.uk
Phone service not currently available\; please email and we will phone back.
(Please note that UWTSD does not handle applications for employer vacancies; you must apply to an employer).