Be part of the future of Physical Education and Youth Sport with UWTSD
The BA (Hons) Physical Education degree has been designed to develop your skills in teaching physical education and coaching youth sport. As part of your studies, you will have the opportunity to apply the academic content delivered within a range of practical activities including games, athletics, health and fitness, dance, swimming, gymnastics and adventurous activities.
You will be supported in your studies by a team of highly inspirational academic staff who have extensive experience of working and researching in the fields of physical education and sport.
The course has been developed in collaboration with practitioners from physical education and youth sport ensuring it holds maximal relevance to the field. Studying the degree provides ideal preparation for a postgraduate qualification in education (Primary or Secondary PE) or for a career in youth sport and physical activity promotion.
The delivery of high-quality physical education and youth sport is vital for young people's health and well-being. As part of the COVID recovery, there is a need for expanding the highly skilled workforce in this field. The BA Physical Education programme provides an ideal background for developing the theoretical knowledge and practical skills needed to support young people in leading healthy and active lives."
100% Overall Satisfaction in the National Student Survey 2019
Do you speak Welsh?
If you would like to study some of this course in Welsh, 40 credits are available in Welsh. More information can be found on the Welsh version of this page.
Speak Welsh? 40 credits of this course are available through the medium of Welsh.
Speak Welsh? 80 credits of this course are available through the medium of Welsh.
Book an Open Day
Book a Taster Day
Request a Call Back
PATHWAY OPTIONS AND HOW TO APPLY
Tuition Fees 2021/22:
Home (Full-time): £9,000 per year
Overseas (Full-time): £13,500 per year
Why choose this course?
- Strong practical focus at all levels of the programme.
- Highly experienced and inspirational teaching team who have developed internationally recognised programmes in the field.
- Small class sizes allow for a highly personalised learning experience.
- Study abroad options in the second year in California or North Carolina.
- Free access to all sports facilities to enhance personal and professional development.
What you will learn
The Physical Education degree has a fundamental focus on learning, teaching and coaching issues with many modules offering practical teaching experiences with young people in a range of activities including games, athletics, swimming, adventurous activities, and health and fitness activities.
Issues of inclusion, entitlement and differentiation are embedded in many of the modules, and several assessments require students to plan and evaluate their own and others' teaching and coaching.
The current sport, health and outdoor adventure activities focus of physical education is strongly represented in the overall content of the degree. This degree is the only one of its kind within the region and is different from sports science or sports studies degrees in that its main focus is on presenting students with inclusive learning, teaching and coaching strategies in order to be able to provide positive experiences for young people in physical education and sport.
The course integrates the latest technologies to support students in a blended learning experience that merges both online and face to face delivery. Additionally, strong links with local schools and physical education departments across the region enable extensive placement opportunities for students.
The programme has an excellent track record of progression into primary or secondary teaching and roles within sport development and physical activity promotion.
Year One – Level 4 (Cert HE, Dip HE & BA)
- Contemporary Challenges: Making a Difference (20 credits; compulsory; Graduate Attributes Framework module)
- Creative Education through Movement (20 credits; compulsory)
- Facilitating Adventurous Activities (20 credits; compulsory)
- Human Physiology and Fitness (20 credits; optional)
- Introduction to Health and Exercise Psychology (20 credits; optional)
- Learning in a Digital Era (20 credits; compulsory; Graduate Attributes Framework module)
- Physical Education and Aquatic Activities (20 credits; compulsory).
Year Two – Level 5 (Dip HE & BA)
- Changemakers: Building your Personal Brand for Sustainable Employment (20 credits; compulsory; Graduate Attributes Framework module)
- Changemakers: Creativity and Value Creation (20 credits; compulsory; Graduate Attributes Framework module)
- Competitive Activities: A Models Based Approach (20 credits; compulsory)
- Exercise Physiology (20 credits; optional)
- Foundations in High Quality Physical and Outdoor Learning (20 credits; compulsory)
- Health and Well-Being in Education (20 credits; compulsory)
- Sport and Exercise Psychology (20 credits; optional).
Year Three – Level 6 (BA)
- Assessment in Physical Education (20 credits; compulsory)
- Coaching Pedagogy (20 credits; optional)
- Curriculum Adventure (20 credits; compulsory)
- Education, Sport and Physical Education (20 credits; compulsory)
- Independent Project (40 credits; compulsory; Graduate Attributes Framework module)
- Perspectives in Health and Physical Activity (20 credits; optional).
A range of assessment methods are used in the assessment of modules so that students are provided with a range of opportunities to demonstrate their knowledge and skills.
Specific types of assessment include:
- Practical tasks
- Reflective Blogs
- Laboratory reports
- Examinations (seen and unseen papers)
While a good quality of personal performance is encouraged, it is not a focus of assessment in the practically based modules. Rather, issues of inclusion, entitlement and differentiation are embedded in many of the assessments, and students are required to plan and evaluate their own and other students’ teaching.
Students learn how to present a balanced, evidenced argument through their formal written work, as well as via individual and group presentations.
Within the final year, students will design and conduct their own independent project in a specialist area of their choice.
Graduate Attributes Framework
This Framework aims to develop your professional skills and competence alongside your academic subject knowledge. You’ll study up to 40 credits per level throughout your programme from the Graduate Attributes Framework.
The Graduate Attribute modules are designed to enable you to develop, and evidence, a range of career-focused skills related to your subject area. These skills include digital competency, research and project management, as well as such personal competencies as communication, creativity, self-reflection, resilience and problem-solving.
Healthy Carmarthen, Meet the Team and Graduates' Success
96 UCAS points or subject to interview.
Mature students who have experience of working with young people in a sporting context are particularly welcome.
Students graduating from this degree programme are likely to progress on to a PGCE primary or secondary Physical Education course or the in-house Physical Education, Sport and Physical Literacy (MA) programme.
Other popular career routes include:
- Physical Education and School Sport (PESS) or Dragon Sport officers;
- Sports Development;
- Youth Work;
- other higher degrees; and,
- uniformed services.
- Sports clothing (£40-£60) depending on course.
"By studying the BA Physical Education degree at UWTSD, not only did I develop my knowledge and understanding of physical education and youth sport but also how to practically apply this through the teaching and coaching experiences provided. The degree set me up perfectly for the secondary PE PGCE."
Cara Phillips - BA Physical Education student 2014
"My degree was excellent preparation for the PGCE interview discussion task. My knowledge of the National Curriculum for Physical Education and understanding of the importance of different teaching styles was a huge advantage for me in gaining a PGCE Secondary PE place."
Bursary / Scholarship Information
Study Abroad Opportunities
Embrace the opportunity to spend a semester abroad at universities in the US or Canada.
We have exchange links with the following institutions:
- California State University, Fullerton
- University of North Carolina, Greensboro