Our Sport and Exercise Science courses are aimed at those with an interest in sport, health and physical activity who wish to deepen their understanding of the functioning of the human body.
Our portfolio of Sport and Exercise Science degrees allows students to specialise in certain areas or remain on a generic pathway, according to their aspirations.
After a common first year, students can choose to either remain on the generic pathway or choose to specialise in Sports Nutrition.
Sport and Exercise Science (BSc)
UCAS Code: 125L
Apply via UCAS
This course is aimed at those with an interest in sport, health and physical activity who wish to deepen their understanding of the functioning of the human body.
Sport and Exercise Science (Sports Nutrition) (BSc)
UCAS Code 129L
Apply via UCAS
The Sports Nutrition pathway will allow graduates to become registered on the Sport and Exercise Nutrition Register, and to work as sport nutritionists, advising athletes on their nutritional needs.
Book an Open Day Book a Taster Day Request Information Apply Now
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Why choose this course?
- Ranked in the top 10 UK Sport Science courses for student satisfaction. Sport and Exercise Science is one of the top 10 most popular degree subjects in the UK: The Complete University Guide ranks sports science at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David (UWTSD) as 8th in the UK for student satisfaction, with 95% of students being satisfied with their experiences according to the National Student Survey.
- Opportunity to become registered on the Register of Exercise Professionals (REP's): In addition to the main skills required of a Sport and Exercise Scientist, students graduating from UWTSD will also gain the skills required to conduct fitness and health assessments and will have the opportunity to qualify as gym instructors and personal trainers.
- A range of modules options across a variety of subject areas: Our portfolio of Sport and Exercise Science degrees allows students to specialise in certain areas, or remain on a generic pathway, according to their aspirations.
- Use of dedicated fitness training facilities and exercise science laboratories: Sport and Exercise Science is studied on the Carmarthen campus which offers a friendly and personal learning experience. All social, recreational and educational facilities are on this campus, though some practical learning experiences may be located throughout Carmarthenshire and West Wales.
- Lecturing staff are also based on the Carmarthen campus and are easily accessible for tutorials to support all aspects of study. A very active Student Union provides an extensive array sport and leisure activities as well as supporting your social needs.
- Opportunities to work with clients in real-life situations.
- Free access to the health suite, sports hall and swimming pool to support degree interests.
- Conducting and understanding research is a key skill developed throughout the degree and students will be constantly challenged to critically review the latest research and conduct their own studies.
What you will learn
The first year of study is generic across the portfolio of Sport and Exercise Science degree pathways, and gives all students a grounding in the main principles of the subject area, along with the time to decide if they want to specialise in a particular pathway.
The three core subjects of physiology, psychology and biomechanics form the foundations, with delivery comprising of a combination of theoretical lectures followed by an opportunity to apply that knowledge practically in our well-equipped sports science laboratories.
Students will develop the hands-on skills required to use equipment such as gas analysers, light gates, force platforms, motion analysis software, and body composition analysers.
Alongside the core subjects, the first year gives students the opportunity to study the principles of training and exercise, and to gain vocational awards as Gym Instructors and Personal Trainers alongside their studies, if they wish.
In the second year, students continue to develop their knowledge in the foundational subjects of physiology, biomechanics and psychology, alongside developing their ability to understand and conduct research.
Two optional modules allow students to pick from a wide range of modules across the school of Sport, Health and Outdoor Education. These modules could be from any one of a range of subjects such as: nutrition; exercise referral; coaching; outdoor lifestyles; and, health promotion.
During the final year, students deepen their knowledge in their specialist area by conducting an independent experimental research study of their own, alongside an in-depth review of the literature.
Building on the first two years, students develop knowledge in specific areas, such as extreme physiology, advanced training methods and applied sport psychology, while also having options to choose modules from across the school.
- Advanced training methods
- Health and exercise psychology
- Ergogenic performance and sport
- Exercise and specific populations
- Extreme physiology
- Human physiology and fitness
- Nutrition for sport and exercise
- Personal training
- Sport and exercise psychology
The degree is predominantly assessed through a combination of coursework and practical examination. Students will also develop an extensive portfolio of professional practice and case study evidence.
Healthy Carmarthen, Meet the team and Graduates Success
Sport and Exercise Science
Find out more about our BSc Sport and Exercise Science portfolio from course lecturers Geraint Forster and David Gardner
Students would normally be expected to achieve a minimum of 96 UCAS points (2017 Tariff) with a focus on science-based subjects and/or physical education. Mature students without sufficient UCAS points will be considered on merit through an interview process.
90% of our graduates in this subject area are employed or in full-time further study within 6 months of graduating. in general, degrees in sport and exercise science prepare graduates for careers such as:
- Academic research
- Coaching and advising recreational athletes (eg triathlon, running, cycling)
- NHS clinical exercise physiologist
- Personal trainer
- Sport scientist (working with professional sports teams, governing bodies, etc)
- Strength and conditioning coach
- Youth sport
- Students will be required to purchase university tracksuit and training tops which are required in practical sessions and when working with external groups.
- Students wishing to achieve additional, vocational qualification will incur additional charges for these courses.
- £30 induction overnight activity for all year 1 students.
- Sports clothing (£30-£50) depending on course.
Menna Jones, Sports and Exercise Science Student
"Returning to Trinity to study after leaving a 15-year teaching career was not only the most terrifying decision I’ve made but also the most rewarding. Undertaking the BSc Sport and Exercise Science course on a part-time basis has allowed me to juggle study and work while at the same time be a mum to my two young boys.
"The tutors on the course are what make the course for me. They are not only extremely knowledgeable but also extremely approachable. They are highly effective professionals who deliver the right balance of theory mixed with practical hands-on experience during lectures.
"Over the years I have developed my testing skills in the laboratory using an array of equipment and gained external qualifications in Personal Training. This has allowed me to work with clients before I graduate.
"Having chosen the ‘Outdoor Fitness’ pathway, we were spoilt with fantastic locations for practical sessions: Brechfa Forest, the Pembrokeshire Coastal Path, the Brecon Beacons. The course has not only taught me so much academically, but has also provided me with some amazing opportunities and experiences that I will treasure. . . cycling through the French countryside, running along the coast in Spain, waking up to see the sun rise over the Preselis, hiking through snow on Pen-y-Fan.
"I enter my 5th and final year next year and despite having taken the part-time option out of necessity, rather than choice, it is true what they say – time really does fly by when you’re having fun."
Jonathon Nicholson, Sports and Exercise Science Student
My name is Jonathon, and I’m a third year student of Sport and Exercise Science (Outdoor Fitness) at Carmarthen campus. I chose the course for its a unique mix of the outdoors and how to use environments as a means to train, learning about physiology and psychology of various outdoor pursuits.
"The campus is perfectly situated for anyone who enjoys the outdoors; its surrounded by countryside and is in easy driving distance to countless forests, beaches, footpaths as well as Brecon Beacons National Park. The course here has given me the chance to explore and improve my skills in a variety of beautiful settings.
"The hands-on approach to the Sport and Exercise Science degrees here at UWTSD has allowed me to take part in physiological testing, practice coaching strength training techniques, learn about the qualities required to be a good coach, and spend time around other admirable and like-minded students and staff. The facilities here have allowed me to balance my own training with University work, and allowed me to coach others simultaneously, as well as given me the chance to work on a personally engaging dissertation subject.
"My main interest is surfing, and my career aim is to work as a strength and conditioning coach for professional surfers. To help work towards this aim, since being on the course I have had to chance to gain vocational fitness qualifications, studied for a semester at Fullerton University in California, and gained an internship as a strength and conditioning coach for Swim Wales.
"After two and a half years here, I feel like I am smarter and more confident, ready to take on clients and job roles that I could not have done before. I’m extremely happy that I was given the opportunity to come and study here at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David."
You may be eligible for funding to help support your study. To find out about scholarships, bursaries and other funding opportunities that are available please visit our Scholarships and Bursaries section.
Students have the opportunity to study abroad in the US, at California State University, Fullerton, or Greensboro University, North Carolina.
Please visit our Accommodation pages for more information