A smiling student standing beside a bookshelf in the library.

Returning to education is a hugely exciting step, but it can also seem quite daunting.

Our student mix is extremely diverse and includes all ages and backgrounds, and many of the things you are concerned about will be common to lots of students.

University isn’t just for 18-year-olds. Many people choose to start their studies a little bit later in life and 60% of students in the UK are over 21.

We welcome mature students as they bring a wealth of knowledge and experience to their studies, which benefits everyone on the course.

Universities look favourably on all sorts of learning not just ‘A’ levels. In fact, you may be eligible for admission if you can provide satisfactory evidence of your ability to successfully pursue the programme for which you are applying.

Admission tutors assess all your applications individually by looking at the evidence of your personal, professional and educational experiences.

‌Applications to all full-time Undergraduate programmes are made through the UCAS (University and Colleges Application Service)

Applications to full-time postgraduate, masters’ and research degree programmes, and all part-time applications, are made directly to the Registry at admissions@uwtsd.ac.uk

  • ‌Full-time undergraduate courses – apply through UCAS
  • Part-time undergraduate – apply through the Registry
  • Foundation degrees – apply through Registry
  • Diploma in Higher Education – apply through Registry
  • Certificate in Higher Education – apply through Registry
  • Professional Work-based Learning Programme – apply through the Programme Coordinator

Information and guidance on UCAS and the application process

For both full-time and part-time study, you will need to complete a personal statement. Don't worry about this!

For mature students this is an excellent chance to highlight the relevance of life experiences and to showcase your skills. You should never feel negative about life experiences which have brought you to the point of applying to higher education.

Mature applicants who can talk about their life experiences in a way that highlights relevant qualifications, skills and attributes present strong personal statements.

Examples can include talking about current and previous study, caring for a relative or child, overcoming disadvantages, your reasons for pursuing a new career, or simply the huge achievement of returning to education.

Show you understand the course you are applying for and, where applicable, the profession that the course leads to.

You should relate your own experiences and skills to the course (and profession). This will make you stand out from other applicants.

Information and guidance on personal statements 

Support for studying

Generic Study Skills Support is available via the open access Study Skills service to students. The University provides a friendly drop-in service for all students,whether undergraduate or postgraduate. The study support service aims to help you to improve your academic skills. This service is available to all students, at any stage in your studies, and no appointment is required.

Disability Support

If you have a disability that affects your learning, we encourage you to contact the Student Services Centre, which houses both Academic Support and Dyslexia and Disability Support, as early as possible in the application process.

A declaration of disability will in no way disadvantage you in the application procedure. Students with a declared disability are encouraged to visit before applying to see what facilities are available. Nerys Williams (Lampeter campus), Helen Davies (Carmarthen campus) and Dominic Williams (Swansea campus) are available to discuss individual needs, in particular any specific arrangements needed for access, learning support, study support, lectures, placements, assessments and examinations.

Services for Disabled Students

Child Care

Both Carmarthen and Lampeter campuses benefit from professional nurseries which are open to students, staff and members of the public.

Childcare Provision

Managing your finances while studying at university may seem a daunting prospect. For mature and part-time students there is often a greater sense of worry about finances because of other commitments; children, caring responsibilities for dependent adults, mortgages and existing debts are common examples.

The important thing to remember is that there is help out there. There are many sources of financial support, from student loans for tuition fees and subsistence to non-repayable bursaries and government grants. Each individual case will be different, and this is particularly so for mature or part-time students.

The government classifies students as ‘independent’ at 25 and over, unless the student meets another of the government definitions. There are lots of categories which make you independent under 25 - for instance if you have a child, if you are married, estranged from your parents etc.

Check out the Student Finance Wales webpage for up-to-date information

There's also a really useful student finance calculator on the Student Finance page which will provide you with a tailored estimate of the financial support you could receive.

Worried about fees?

Don’t worry, help is available…

The key facts are that most students pay nothing up front and don't have to pay anything back until they earn over £21,000 a year as a graduate. If you never reach this salary level, you will not have to repay your loan. The payment will automatically come out of your salary if you are working in the UK after you finish your course, just like tax and national insurance.

How much will my course cost?

The cost of your course depends on a number of things –mainly what course you choose and where you are living when you apply for the course. The fees at the University of Wales Trinity Saint David have been set at £9,000 for all our undergraduate courses.

We have a range of scholarships and means tested bursaries available including £400 towards the cost of University accommodation in your first year if you are a full fee-paying student. 

Students with dependants may be eligible for additional support, such as a Parents’ Learning Allowance or an Adult Dependants’ Grant. If you pay prescribed childcare you maybe eligible for the Childcare Grant to help with these costs. Contact your local authority directly for more information.

HEFCW Fee Waiver Scheme

Your fees can be waived if you are a Welsh domiciled,part time student studying a small amount of credits. For more information please click here

Additional Support from the University

The University has a number of bursaries & scholarships available to provide extra financial support for students. Full details are available on the website within the Student Services section. They range from childcare to residential and include special packages for applicants coming from Further Education to Higher Education.

The University is putting a significant amount of money into its own hardship funds for students who find themselves in financial difficulties during their studies through no fault of their own. Details are available from the Student Services Offices on both campuses.