UWTSD Home - Study With Us - Postgraduate Courses - Subtitling (PG Cert)
This is an innovative course offered by Rhagoriaith, University of Wales Trinity Saint David’s Welsh Language Service Centre, to prospective subtitlers. The increased use of audio-visual material in our everyday life has led in recent years to a huge increase in the demand for subtitling.
The aim is to offer opportunities to develop, sustain, affirm and refine understanding and knowledge of the field, as well as subtitling skills that are essential to success in a professional setting.
Main features of the programme
- An opportunity to gain a vocational qualification relevant to the workplace.
- A qualification developed in collaboration with S4C and professional subtitling companies that meet the needs of the subtitling industry.
- Training in small groups at the university.
- An opportunity to earn experience in a professional environment under supervision.
You can apply directly to the University using the Apply Now button at the top of the page.
Book an Open Day Book a Taster Day Request Information Apply Now
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Interested in gaining a qualification in Subtitling?
5 Reasons to study the Postgraduate Certificate in Subtitling:
- This is an opportunity to gain a vocational, professional and practical qualification in subtitling. Subtitling is a part of our daily lives, on the TV, in the shops, in the gym, in the office, at meetings, at the theatre. Have you ever thought about subtitling? What about learning a new skill, subtitling for the TV?
- This unique qualification was developed in collaboration with production companies and broadcasters in Wales. The Certificate was designed in collaboration with S4C and professional subtitling and broadcasting companies. The external partners will contribute extensively towards the qualification, by teaching and offering placements for training.
- You can participate in this course side by side with your full-time job — as a work-based learning programme or as part of your continuous professional development.
- Specialist training in small groups to ensure all students benefit to one’s utmost and an opportunity to gain experience in the workplace.
- It is the only recognised certificate in Subtitling in Wales.
What you will learn
The Certificate was designed in collaboration with subtitling companies and professional broadcasters.
The course is a natural development for individuals who have done some translating and are keen to develop their personal skills, or individuals who are considering developing a career in this field.
The external partners will contribute extensively towards the qualification, by teaching and offering placements for work experiences. This qualification will combine good practice and valuable workplace experiences with academic but practical sessions on the Carmarthen Campus.
There will be an introduction to a variety of skills vital to the field and different programming features will be considered, such as pace of speech, sharing subtitles, use of vocal commands, rhythm, etc. Training in linguistic principles will also be provided, as well as essential technical skills for professional subtitling and live cuing. The practical element of the module will focus on developing student confidence as they attempt to practice the art of subtitling for the first time under guidance.
Focus is placed on practical workshops under professional conditions so that students understand the requirements of subtitling. This programme combines theory and practice by offering two streams of expertise, and gives students the opportunity to take advantage of work placements in professional subtitling companies. Ability in a number of vocational and transferable skills is developed, including gathering information, developing individual ingenuity and managing time, thinking analytically, identifying problems and means of resolving them.
Students will be expected to complete successfully 60 credits for the Postgraduate Certificate in Subtitling, namely:
- Essentials of Subtitling (10 credits; core),
- Subtitling – Practice and Familiarization (20 credits; compulsory)
- Live Subtitling in the Workplace (30 credits; compulsory).
Every student is encouraged to complete the three modules, but in some cases where the prospective student has considerable previous experience of subtitling, the student may apply to be exempt from the first module (Essentials of Subtitling). Each module builds upon the previous one, and consequently, candidates must follow the modules chronologically in accordance with the order noted above.
This is a vocational and practical Certificate; consequently, the main emphasis is placed on assessing the students’ practical skills as they engage in subtitling. The students’ assignments will be held under professional conditions in order to reflect their experiences in the workplace.
Furthermore, students are expected to complete reflective written work arising from practical experiences of the module and in the workplace.
- Siôn Morgan, Cyfatebol
- Gwen Davies
- It is ensured that experienced subtitlers will contribute towards the training as required.
Prospective students are usually expected to have gained their first degree in a relevant field (e.g. Welsh, English, Film and Media) awarded by a university or recognized awarding body. Applications by older students who do not perhaps conform to the academic requirements of the usual method of entry are also welcome. Candidates must be able to write to a high standard both in Welsh and English.
The Certificate is appropriate for:
- Professional translators who are keen to develop their personal skills in order to augment their service and extend their market.
- Graduates intending to follow a career in the field.
- Professional subtitlers who wish to gain a recognized qualification in the field and to follow a Continuing Development Programme.
Simultaneous Translation (Postgraduate Certificate)
You may be eligible for funding to help support your study. To find out about scholarships, bursaries and other funding opportunities that are available please visit our Bursaries and Scholarships section.
Please visit our Accommodation pages for more information.
Please get in touch with us if you have any questions related to the University or to this course in particular.