Bible and Theology (BA, GradDip) - Distance Learning
The Bible and Theology Programmes offers students the opportunity to explore the Hebrew Bible and the New Testament and to learn about the history and development of Christian thought.
Modules examine different ways of imagining the world within the Judaeo-Christian tradition and focus on its beliefs, teachings and practices. In doing so, the programme also looks to situate Judaeo-Christian traditions within contemporary social, political, theological and spiritual debates.
Book an Open Day
Book a Taster Day
PATHWAY OPTIONS AND HOW TO APPLY
Tuition Fees 2021/22:
Home (Full-time): £9,000 per year
Overseas (Full-time): £13,500 per year
Why choose this course
- Distance-learning offers a flexible approach to studying.
- This programme is taught to you via our unique distance-learning platform, so you can carry on working and keep up with your family commitments while you study for your BA degree.
- The opportunity for online seminars.
- Support from a personal tutor.
- Modules based on lecturers' distinctive research expertise.
What you will learn
UWTSD has a long and distinguished history of teaching and research in the area of Biblical Studies and Christian Theology, both at undergraduate and postgraduate level.
The BA Bible and Theology programme is fully distance-learning and is available both full-time and part-time.
Bible and Theology (BA) Modules
- Academic Skills
- Introduction to the New Testament
- Introduction to the Hebrew Bible
- Introduction to Theology
- Introduction to Religion
- Introduction to Christian Ethics
- God and the world
- Theology and Interreligious encounter
- The letters of Paul
- Judaism and Christian Origins
- The meaning of life
- Sex and Gender
- Interpreting the Hebrew Bible
- Travelling with Luke
- Modern Christian Theology
- Jesus through Faith and Culture
Bible and Theology (GradDip) Modules
- Study Skills and Research Methods in Bible and Theology (20 credits)
- Interpreting the Hebrew Bible (20 credits)
- Travelling with Luke: A Journey through Luke-Acts (20 credits)
- Modern Christian Theology: Texts and Traditions (20 credits)
- Jesus through Faith and Culture (20 credits)
- Independent Project (20 credits)
Assessment will primarily be via coursework assignments.
Grades are important; however, our offers are not solely based on academic results. We are interested in creative people that demonstrate a strong commitment to their chosen subject area and therefore we welcome applications from individuals from a wide range of backgrounds.
To assess student suitability for their chosen course we normally arrange interviews for all applicants at which your skills, achievements and life experience will be considered as well as your qualifications.
You will develop powers of analysis, logical thought and argument within a supportive and encouraging environment. It will be these skills of communication, understanding, analysis and self-management that provide you with a passport into employment. Types of employment could include museum and archive work, journalism, law, banking, local politics, all types of administrative work, marketing and advertising, and teaching.
The Faculty has estimated on the assumption that students buy new copies of the books. Students may also choose to spend money on printing drafts of work.
Students may spend up to £300 per year on books and additional related materials.
Students are expected to submit 2 hard copies of their final project, the estimated cost for binding these is £20.
Optional Field trip:
The faculty works to ensure that there are a range of fieldwork and field trip options available both locally and internationally. Thus students can opt to take either more expensive or less expensive placements. The Faculty subsidises these but the cost each year is dependent on airfare, location, and currency exchange rates. Below are the upper end of expected costs based on where students have currently done placements.
Fieldwork (depending on where the student decides to do fieldwork): c. £500 - £1,500
Individual trips: c. £5 - £50
Bursary / Scholarship Information
You may be eligible for funding to help support your study. To find out about scholarships, bursaries and other funding opportunities that are available please visit our Bursaries and Scholarships section.