The World’s Our Lecture Theatre
This unique and exciting programme focuses on developing professional industry skills and academic knowledge to enable students to secure a management career within the International Travel and Tourism Industry.
The programme has an excellent international industry reputation working closely with key global travel and tourism organisations.
By making the world our lecture theatre, the programme provides students with exciting international field study experiences. This includes opportunities to network with tourism industry leaders and see behind the scenes at major global travel destinations.
There is a strong focus on international internships from the outset. Students are encouraged to develop their guest service and industry skills through ongoing placement opportunities in preparation for undertaking paid internships all over the world.
The students benefit from a close relationship with alumni, many of whom have highly successful careers in the industry & regularly return to network & share their experiences with current students.
Book an Open Day Book a Taster Day Request Information Apply Now
Faculty of Business and Management
Why choose this course
- The world’s our lecture theatre - the programme utilises innovative and creative learning opportunities to enable students to regularly experience behind the scenes within the industry. This includes local and international field study visits to bring the learning alive.
- The School of Tourism & Hospitality has over 25 years experience delivering cutting edge professional programmes in Leisure & Tourism focusing on promoting guest service excellence and empowerment from the outset.
- The programme has an excellent reputation within the global tourism industry resulting in regular opportunities for students to network and engage with industry leaders to support career development. Many of these contacts are graduates of the programme who inspire current students.
- Our students are offered unrivalled global placement opportunities with leading international travel & tourism organisations in order for them to gain operational experience and develop the professional skills needed to prepare them for highly successful management careers.
- The industry experienced teaching team provide a friendly and supportive approach to University life which promotes close working relationships between students and tutors resulting in a positive and active learning environment.
- Guardian number 1 in Wales for Tourism, Events & Hospitality.
What you will learn
This unique programme will provide students with the professional industry skills and the academic knowledge to help them secure an exciting career within the International Travel and Tourism Industry.
The programme has been developed through close consultation with leaders from the global travel and tourism industry in order to meet the needs of industry and the aspirations of students.
A strong focus on management and marketing is introduced from the start of the programme. Issues are considered from a global perspective as well as studying topical industry issues, social media, international travel operations & international cultures.
The cutting edge programme focuses on guest service excellence from the outset and provides students and graduates with an excellent range of inspirational and challenging global placement opportunities. These experiences are designed to develop the student’s professional and operational skills.
Placement are integrated at level 4 and 5 enabling students to focus on progressing their professional skills development, their management understanding and academic knowledge. Students have the opportunity to apply their learning at University and to critically consider real-life industry case studies preparing them for future management.
There is also an opportunity to undertake a sandwich placement year working in the international travel and tourism sector. Students may elect to work in a variety of destinations and in a number of different roles to develop a breadth of skills or concentrate on developing in one specialist area.
At the final stages of the programme students are encouraged to challenge industry conceptions and consider strategic management issues from both an academic and applied stance.
Innovative and creative learning environments ensure that the programme brings the student’s learning alive. By making the World our Lecture Theatre students are able to experience behind the scenes at tourism facilities and destinations in the UK and internationally as well as engaging in networking events with industry leaders.
- Global Tourism Experience
- UK Tourism Industry
- Hospitality and Guest Service Management
- Leisure Marketing
- Principles of Managing Tourism Organisations
- Academic and Industry Skills
- International Travel Operations Management
- Intercultural Communication
- Applied Professional Development for Placement
- Applied Industry Placement
- Options (1 from 2)
- European Tourism Field Studies
- Sustainable Tourism & Hospitality Management
- Strategic Travel & Tourism Management
- International Tourism Events Management
- Global Destinations Management
- Either Dissertation
- Or Consultancy Project and The Global Tourism Conference
- Options (1 from 3)
- Sandwich Placement Year
- Leisure Attraction Management
- Culture and Heritage Management
The programme will be assessed through a structured mix of practical assessments, case studies, management reports, presentations, essays, travel reviews, dvd/videos, travel blogs, feasibility studies, projects, exams, bid pitches and the opportunity to plan, organise and assess travel and tourism trips & experiences.
Assessments will wherever possible be designed to develop professional skills as well as developing critical thinking, leadership, management, guest service and team work in preparation for industry careers.
Swansea Business Campus
#TourismOnTour Malaysia & Singapore
Going Places Together with Qatar Airways, Cardiff Airport & the University of Malaya Wales.
At UWTSD Tourism in Swansea we make the World your lecture theatre. To discover more watch this short video taster of the International Tourism Educational Tour which brings the student’s learning alive & see the world like never before. Thanks so much for your help!
88 UCAS points
Grades are important however offers are not based solely on academic results. We are interested in creative and dedicated people who demonstrate a strong commitment to International Travel & Tourism as well as those with significant relevant work experience. To assess the suitability of a potential student we. May arrange interviews for you to share with us your skills, achievement and life experiences.
The flexibility of the programme, focus on industry opportunities, internships & graduate placement support empowers students to gear their studies to their own career ambitions and personal circumstances.
The constant interaction with employers and focus on guest service and professional employability skills provides students with the opportunity to realise their career potential through their studies.
On graduating students from this programme have been highly successful in securing a range of operational and management positions within the International Travel & Tourism Industry.
Future career pathways may include:
- Tourism Management - Attractions, International Hotels, Events, Conventions, Festivals, Tourist Boards.
- Travel Management - Airlines, Airports, Tour Operators, Travel Agents.
- Previous examples of graduate careers include a range of management positions with Aspen Ski Company, British Tourism Authority, Contiki Holidays, Jumeirah Resorts Dubai, Merlin Entertainment, Necker Island in the Caribbean, PGL Activity Holidays, Planos Holidays Greece, St Brides Spa Hotel, Retreats Group, Ritz Carlton Resorts Worldwide, Rockley Watersports France & UK, Royal Caribbean Cruiselines, Tui Holidays, Visit Wales, Walt Disney World.
Optional additional costs for Field Trips:
These are made available for students which are either subsidised, optional or part of an optional module of study. All compulsory field trips are paid for.
Costs for UK trips that are optional vary from £5 to up to £100 for a residential trip.
The optional European Field Study Tour (Level 4) which is subsidised and part of an optional module is £500 and includes train travel across Europe, accommodation in the destinations normally in Paris and Switzerland, entry to attractions and some meals. Payment can be made in instalments equating to about £10 per week, £50 per month or block payments over a one year period.
The costs for the Faculty Educational Tour which is optional and part of an optional module is up to £1,000 for a 10 day trip to Malaysia normally via Doha and flying back from Singapore staying in 5 star hotels in Kuala Lumpur and Penang and including flights, bed and breakfast, main excursions and travel. This trip can be paid for over a 1 to 2 year period with monthly or block payments equating to about £10 per week.
Added value of field trips:
Field Trips with behind the scenes tours, guest speakers and research opportunities bring the students learning alive and allow them to network with industry and develop career opportunities as well as giving them the opportunity to experience the venues and tourism industry.
Optional additional costs for Placement:
Students electing to go on certain placements to the USA or other destinations will be required to pay for their flights and visas. These are paid placements but the visa costs are paid by the students in advance. Current fees advertised for Summer Work and Travel Programme Visas in USA are £630 which includes insurance cover. Visa costs for a J1 visa for 12 months in US are currently advertised as £1425 and include Insurance. These prices are not controlled by the University and are subject to change by the Visa Sponsors and US Govt. Students working for certain organisations in destinations in the US and other locations will also be required to pay their own travel costs for some placements however these costs are again optional as there are other placements available where travel costs are paid.
Please note that going to the USA on placement is optional and therefore these are optional costs.
International placements in USA offer the students opportunity to work for some of the worlds leading organisations. This provides them with excellent opportunities for learning and developing their professional guest service skills to prepare them for future management careers. During their placements they will be earning monies to cover the visa costs and travel costs, however, it must be noted that these placements are optional and the students can select paid placements in other destinations where there are no up front costs.
- Tourism Management (BA)
- International Leisure Resort Management (BA)
- International Tourism Management (HND)
- International Tourism and Hospitality Management (Foundation Degree)
Shanna McFadden Drivenes now International Travel & Tourism Graduate and now CEO of Dirty Girls Events Norway
“I was never really one for school, but in Uni I came into my own. It really springboard me into the career I have today. I took part in a one-year work experience at Ritz Carlton Batchelor Gulch Resort in Colorado where I learnt about service on another level which I have taken forward into all my jobs and opening my own business. I would recommend anyone who would like to work in this industry to UWTSD as you will have access to some of the best placements worldwide and the best student experience”
£200 up-skilling Bursaries are available for students to apply for to support their skills development and students may also be eligible to apply for the Discover Project to support International Mobility to support short International Placement Experiences
Visit our Scholarships and Bursaries section to find out more.
The programme includes the opportunity to undertake integrated international placements during level 4, 5 & 6 in order to gain specialist industry experience and to develop the students professional skills