"The 1999 Rugby World Cup, six FA Cup Finals, the 2009 Ashes Test, the 2010 Ryder Cup, The Hay Festival and Llangollen Musical Eisteddfod have earned Wales a growing reputation as a world-class events destination according to Wales Government”.
Furthermore, Wales’ involvement in hosting the Olympics in 2012, The Champions League Finals in Cardiff in 2017, countless globally recognised concerts at Principality Stadium and the recent launch of the breathtaking International Convention Centre at Celtic Manor has meant that careers in Events Management in Wales have taken centre stage.
UWTSD Swansea has been successfully running Events Management programmes for nearly 10 years and has been responsible for educating some of the nations leading event managers. In 2019 the University launched a unique Educational Partnership with the Ironman Wales Event in Tenby providing the catalyst to launch these exciting Events and International Festivals courses specifically designed to develop the event managers of the future.
The programme has been developed through close liaison with the events industry and by listening to our students to ensure we provide the most effective mix of academic studies and practical event management learning. The portfolio offers a choice of a 3 year BA degree, 2-year Diploma of Higher Education, or a 1-year Certificate of Higher Education all focusing on providing students with the professional event planning and operational skills demanded by the industry.
The unique learning environment will provide students with the opportunity to bring their learning alive through involvement in events projects and industry visits which enable them to see behind the scenes at major venues and network with leading events managers. This will be supported by paid internships and volunteering opportunities in the UK and Internationally with events venues, festivals, sports events and convention centres designed to develop the student's professional events management skills in order to enable them to quickly progress in this dynamic industry.
Book an Open Day Book a Taster Day Apply Now Request Information
University of Wales Trinity Saint David
Why choose this course
- The University’s unique Educational Partnership with Ironman Wales event in Tenby provides students with unrivalled volunteering and internship opportunities at the event and to undertake events projects and research.
- The course offers a range of educational experiences from a 1-year short programme for those returning to study and looking to develop their educational confidence, to a 2 year vocationally based course and a 3-year degree linking academic and professional studies. Students can when they have completed each qualification move directly to the appropriate level on the next programme so they would be able to start with a Certificate, move on to the Diploma and then the BA and complete the 3 programmes within 3 years.
- The opportunity to gain practical events management experience working on events projects from the outset.
- The course provides unrivalled opportunities for specialist field trips, behind the scenes visits and networking with events professionals.
- A small and friendly teaching team with current events industry experience and research links.
- The opportunity to undertake specialist events management placements in the UK or internationally including exciting operational events experiences with Aspen Ski Company.
- Employability and professional events management skills embedded across all modules.
- A variety of industry-based assessments based relating to Festivals, Sports Events, Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Banquets.
What you will learn
Events and Festivals have become a prevalent force for economic and socio-cultural development strategies for cities and destinations as well as a means to enhance business goals, resulting in a continual need for events graduates who understand the structure and functions of the industry including the importance of hospitality and guest service. This will be supported by a strong focus on management learning and the role of marketing and social media within the events sector.
As the programme develops students will focus on applying academic theories to real-life events case studies. This will include planning and managing live events as well as developing operational management knowledge and understanding both in the classroom and through behind the scenes events visits, paid events management placements and a range of volunteering opportunities.
Finally, the course will allow students to develop their strategic understanding of the events industry and develop specialisms in Sports Events, Festivals, Meetings, Incentives, Conventions and Banquets. In line with the dynamic nature of the events industry, the course embeds creativity, essential skills and an entrepreneurial mindset to produce graduates who are ready for a diverse range of careers opportunities throughout the events sector.
Level 4 (Award - Certificate of Higher Education)
- Academic and industry Skills (including volunteering and planning events)
- Hospitality and Guest Service Management
- Niche Marketing and Social Media
- Managing Tourism, Leisure and Events Organisations
- Events in Context
- Tourism and Events Industry and Issues
Level 5 (Award - Diploma of Higher Educations)
- Applied Placement for Tourism, Leisure and Events
- International Travel Operations for Events Planning
- Live Events Project
- Management in Practice for Tourism, Leisure and Events
- Operations Management for Tourism, Leisure and Events
- Choice of 1 Option
- European Adventure Tourism Experience
- Events Placement Project
Level 6 (Award - BA)
- Dissertation or Events Consultancy Project
- Global Sports Events Management
- International Tourism Festivals and Events Management
- International Meetings, Incentives and Convention Management
- If studying Dissertation Students Select 1 option from the following, if studying Consultancy Project Select 2 Options from the following
- Global Destinations and Resort Management
- Heritage and Leisure Attraction Management
- Strategic Tourism Management
- Sustainable and Ethical Tourism
- The Global Student Conference (International Field Study Trip to Qatar, Malaysia and Singapore)
The programme will be assessed through a structured mix of practical assessments, events, placements, case studies, audits, training exercises, management reports, presentations, essays, event reviews, DVD/videos, vlogs/ blogs, feasibility studies, projects, bid pitches and the opportunity to plan, organise and assess event tours & experiences.
Assessments will wherever possible be designed to develop professional skills as well as developing critical thinking, leadership, events management, guest service and teamwork in preparation for careers in the events . There will be NO examinations on this course.
#TourismOnTour Malaysia & Singapore
Going Places Together with Qatar Airways, Cardiff Airport & the University of Malaya Wales.
At UWTSD Tourism in Swansea, we make the World your lecture theatre. To discover more watch this short video taster of the International Tourism Educational Tour which brings the student’s learning alive & see the world like never before.
Swansea Business Campus
88 UCAS Points (BA) | 44 UCAS Points (DipCert) | 36 UCAS Points (CertHe)
Other equivalent qualifications are accepted and the admissions panel will consider each application on an individual basis. Please note also that our offers are not based solely on your academic achievements; we take into account your full range of skills, experience and attainments when considering your application.
The degree welcomes applicants who have previously studied business for a natural progression. Those who have studied other subject areas will transfer well. Those with work experience, but few formal qualifications, may also join the programme. A-Level and Edexcel awards, as well as a range of other certificates at this level from UK, EU and International bodies, are respected.
Grades are important; however, our offers are not solely based on academic results. We are interested in creative people that demonstrate a strong commitment to their chosen subject area and therefore we welcome applications from individuals from a wide range of backgrounds. To assess student suitability for their chosen course we normally arrange interviews for all applicants at which your skills, achievements and life experience will be considered as well as your qualifications.
- Event Manager
- Event Director
- Festival Manager
- Event Safety
- Marketing Manager
- PR Manager
- Sports event and venue manager
- Project manager
- Weddings co-ordinator
Optional additional costs for Field Trips:
These are made available for students which are either subsidised, optional or part of an optional module of study. All compulsory field trips are paid for.
Costs for UK trips that are optional vary from £5 to up to £100 for a residential trip.
The optional European Field Study Tour (Level 4) which is subsidised and part of an optional module is £500 and includes train travel across Europe, accommodation in the destinations normally in Paris and Switzerland, entry to attractions and some meals. Payment can be made in instalments equating to about £10 per week, £50 per month or block payments over a one year period.
The costs for the Faculty Educational Tour which is optional and part of an optional module is up to £1,000 for a 10 day trip to Malaysia normally via Doha and flying back from Singapore staying in 5 star hotels in Kuala Lumpur and Penang and including flights, bed and breakfast, main excursions and travel. This trip can be paid for over a 1 to 2 year period with monthly or block payments equating to about £10 per week.
Added value of field trips:
Field Trips with behind the scenes tours, guest speakers and research opportunities bring the students learning alive and allow them to network with industry and develop career opportunities as well as giving them the opportunity to experience the venues and tourism industry.
Optional additional costs for Placement:
Students electing to go on certain placements to the USA or other destinations will be required to pay for their flights and visas. These are paid placements but the visa costs are paid by the students in advance. Current fees advertised for Summer Work and Travel Programme Visas in USA are £630 which includes insurance cover. Visa costs for a J1 visa for 12 months in US are currently advertised as £1425 and include Insurance. These prices are not controlled by the University and are subject to change by the Visa Sponsors and US Govt. Students working for certain organisations in destinations in the US and other locations will also be required to pay their own travel costs for some placements however these costs are again optional as there are other placements available where travel costs are paid.
Please note that going to the USA on placement is optional and therefore these are optional costs.
International placements in USA offer the students opportunity to work for some of the worlds leading organisations. This provides them with excellent opportunities for learning and developing their professional guest service skills to prepare them for future management careers. During their placements they will be earning monies to cover the visa costs and travel costs, however, it must be noted that these placements are optional and the students can select paid placements in other destinations where there are no up front costs.
£200 up-skilling Bursaries are available for students to apply for to support their skills development and students may also be eligible to apply for the Discover Project to support International Mobility to support short International Placement Experiences
Visit our Scholarships and Bursaries section to find out more.