The BA in International Sports Management will give graduates the opportunity to pursue a professional career in the global sports industry.
KPMG expects continued growth exceeding 5% in the Global Sports Market until 2020.
BA International Sports Management (Tracksuit to the Global Manager)
UCAS Code: 139C
Apply via UCAS
Book an Open Day Book a Taster Day Request Information
Faculty of Business and Management
3 Years Full-time
Why choose this course
- This course will attract individuals who wish to work within the sports management field from a global perspective. Students will gain an understanding of global influences in sport which would also include cultural and language challenges for elite sports players and global organizations.
- The decision to hold the FIFA World Cup in two emerging sports markets (Russia in 2018 and Qatar in 2022) demonstrates the global growth and reach of sport. Add to this the enormous cost ($51b) of hosting the recent Winter Olympics (Sochi, 2014) and the commercialisation of Rio as a destination for global sport with the Football World Cup (2014) and the Summer Olympic Games (2016).
- An International Industrial Placement will also allow students to experience the benefits of working overseas or for a global organisation in the sports and entertainment industry. Previous placement students have had the opportunity to experience work-based learning in Europe, North America and many opportunities in the United Kingdom with professional sports teams and international sports providers.
What you will learn
The general focus of this pathway is to provide a flexible programme of study which allows students to develop an expansive knowledge of sports management issues and concepts within the context of the wider sports industry environment and to produce graduates with the relevant skills and abilities to enable them to make an effective contribution in the private, public and voluntary sectors of the sports, health & fitness industry.
The programme will prepare students for future sports and recreation management careers. Early career skills and knowledge will be developed through studying skill acquisition, coaching and instructing processes whilst introducing key theories and issues affecting the sports and leisure industries. The programme will be progressive building on foundation modules students will develop their management skills and knowledge through applied and fieldwork-based modules related to management from a sport perspective.
- ‘International’ Sports Marketing
- Professional and Elite Sports ‘Market’
- Sports Events Management
- Global Sports Environment
- International Industrial Placement
- Sports Policy and ‘Global’ Strategy
- Language ‘Intercultural Awareness’.
- ‘North American Sports Market’
- ‘Globalised Sports Management’
The course will be assessed mostly via coursework in the form of assignments, debates, presentations, blogs and the gathering of an evidence-based portfolio. Plus an element of practical assessment in the coaching and mentoring modules.
Sport, Health and Public Services: Swansea
Sports Management | Tracksuit to Boardroom
96 UCAS Points.
Grades are important; however, our offers are not solely based on academic results. We are interested in creative people that demonstrate a strong commitment to their chosen subject area and therefore we welcome applications from individuals from a wide range of backgrounds.
To assess student suitability for their chosen course we normally arrange interviews for all applicants at which your skills, achievements and life experience will be considered as well as your qualifications.
The global and internalized world of sport and entertainment is now a leading growth industry with sports franchises, private sector companies and professional sports teams driving the growth through increasing sponsorship, media revenue and a global fan base.
This growth is allowing new graduates to develop a career within the supporting stakeholder organizations that support this continued growth.
Employment opportunities range from:
- Team Leaders
- Sports Marketers
- Customer Experience
- Development Officers
- Academy Managers.
Some graduates will also further progress to postgraduate study or global teaching, mentoring or coaching opportunities.
£150 for kit for Sports Management students and education trip.
Jordan Gonzalez | Commonwealth and FINA World Championship National Swimmer
"Moving from Gibraltar for my education and swimming was a great experience’. ‘The course gave me the management based skills I need to become a professional within the sports industry."
"The best thing about the course for me was probably the lecturers, they gave me good information and kept us posted about everything. Great all round and friends really. I am applying to the Navy next – fitness test in a few weeks. Summarise your experience in three words: Best Time Ever!"