UWTSD participates in many surveys and league tables; the results of the most recent releases can be seen below.
UWTSD received some excellent results in the Whatuni Student Choice Awards 2020.
- 1st in the UK for ‘Course & Lecturers’, having won the award in 2019 also
- 1st in the UK for ‘Accommodation’
- 9th in the UK for ‘Student Support’
- 4th in the UK for ‘University of the Year’.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
The Government has introduced a Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) with the aim of recognising and rewarding excellent learning and teaching.
UWTSD received a Silver award which means that the TEF Panel judged that UWTSD delivers high quality teaching, learning and outcomes for its students. It consistently exceeds rigorous national quality requirements for UK higher education.
The TEF Panel noted particular evidence of:
- Course design and assessment practices providing scope for high levels of stretch that ensures all students are significantly challenged and acquire knowledge, skills and understanding that are highly valued by employers
- Optimum levels of contact time, including outstanding personalised provision, that secure engagement and active commitment to learning and study from students
- Clear investment in high quality physical and digital resources that is showing impact upon student learning
- The use of research and scholarship to enhance curriculum design, strengthen student engagement, and enrich the student experience
- A strong sense of regional and civic mission, a commitment to student engagement with industry, and a clear strategy for improving graduate prospects within a challenging employment context.
National Student Survey
The National Student Survey (NSS) gathers opinions from final year students regarding the experience of their course.
Highlights in 2020 included:
- 1st in Wales for Learning Community
- =1st in the UK for student satisfaction in Art
- =1st in the UK for student satisfaction in Applied Psychology
- 3rd in the UK for student satisfaction in Education
- 8th in the UK for student satisfaction in Childhood and Youth Studies
- 8th in the UK for student satisfaction in Counselling, Psychotherapy & Occupational Therapy
- 8th in the UK for student satisfaction in Computer Science.
Guardian League Table
UWTSD placed =74th in the Guardian League Table 2022, with additional highlights including ranking:
- 5th in the UK & 1st in Wales for Art
- 1st in Wales for Classics & Ancient History
- 3rd in the UK & 1st in Wales for Design & Crafts
- 1st in Wales in Education
- 1st in Wales for Engineering: Mechanical
- 9th in the UK & 1st in Wales for Fashion & Textiles
- 1st in Wales for Film Production & Photography
- 1st in Wales for Forensic Science & Archaeology
- 10th in the UK & 1st in Wales for History
- 1st in Wales for Music.
The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide
The Times & The Sunday Times rankings provide the information to allow students to make an informed choice about their higher education.
UWTSD ranked 13th in the UK for student satisfaction with teaching quality in the 2022 results.
Furthermore, UWTSD ranked:
- 8th in England & Wales for Social Inclusion
- 8th in the UK for cheapest university accommodation prices
- 2nd in the UK for teaching quality in Aeronautical and Manufacturing
- 19th in the UK for Architecture
- 19th in the UK for Art & Design
- 3rd in the UK for teaching quality in Classics
- 3rd in the UK for teaching quality in History
- 2nd in the UK for teaching quality in Mechanical Engineering.
Complete University Guide League Table
The Complete University Guide produce annual league tables and rankings by university and subject.
UWTSD received some excellent rankings in the Complete University Guide 2022; the highlights were:
- 6th in the UK for student satisfaction
- 6th in the UK for student satisfaction in Archaeology
- 9th in the UK for student satisfaction in Art & Design
- =6th in the UK for student satisfaction in Computer Science
- 3rd in the UK for student satisfaction in Counselling, Psychotherapy & Occupational Therapy
- 3rd in the UK for student satisfaction in Manufacturing & Production Engineering
- 2nd in the UK for student satisfaction in Mechanical Engineering
- 2nd in the UK for student satisfaction in Philosophy
- 1st in the UK for student satisfaction in Psychology
- =9th in the UK for student satisfaction in Social Policy
- 1st in Wales for Theology & Religious Studies.
The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey
UWTSD received excellent results in The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2018, reinforcing the personal teaching and learning experience the University offers:
7th in the UK for Academic Experience
=10th in the UK for high-quality staff/lectures
=6th in the UK for helpful/interested staff
=8th in the UK for good support/welfare
=4th in the UK for good personal relationships with teaching staff
4th in the UK for tuition in small groups.
Graduate Outcomes is the biggest UK annual social survey and captures the perspectives and current status of recent graduates.
In the 2017/18 survey:
- 94% of UWTSD graduates were in employment and/or further study 15 months after completing their studies.
United Kingdom Engagement Survey
The United Kingdom Engagement Survey (UKES) is the only nationwide UK undergraduate survey to focus on student engagement.
In the 2018 UKES, UWTSD ranked:
- 4th overall in the UK
- 4th in the UK for retention
- 5th in the UK for assessment
- 7th in the UK for employability.
Research Excellence Framework 2014
The Research Excellence Framework (REF) is the new system for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions.
In the REF 2014, 60% of UWTSD’s research work was judged to be either outstanding (23.3%) or very considerable (36.7%) in terms of its reach and significance. This demonstrates the strength of the University’s research work and the contribution it makes in seeking solutions to real-world challenges.
Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey
The Postgraduate Taught Experience Survey (PTES) is the only UK higher education sector-wide survey to gain insight from taught postgraduate students about their learning and teaching experience.
In the PTES 2018, UWTSD ranked:
- In the top quartile in the UK for overall satisfaction
- In the top quartile in the UK for satisfaction with retention
- 6th in the UK for satisfaction with assessment
- 9th in the UK for satisfaction with employability.
People & Planet University League Table
The People & Planet’s University League is the only comprehensive and independent league table of UK universities ranked by environmental and ethical performance.
UWTSD was awarded ‘First Class’ status in the People & Planet University League Table 2017.