Ratings and Rankings
UWTSD participates in many surveys and league tables; the results of the most recent releases can be seen below.
The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey
UWTSD received excellent results in The Times Higher Education Student Experience Survey 2018, reinforcing the personal teaching and learning experience the University offers:
7th in the UK for Academic Experience
=10th in the UK for high-quality staff/lectures
=6th in the UK for helpful/interested staff
=8th in the UK for good support/welfare
=4th in the UK for good personal relationships with teaching staff
4th in the UK for tuition in small groups.
UWTSD received some excellent results in the Whatuni Student Choice Awards 2018.
- 11th in the UK for university of the year
- 4th in the UK for course & lecturers
- 6th in the UK for student support
- 6th in the UK for postgraduate.
National Student Survey
The National Student Survey (NSS) gathers opinions from final year students regarding the experience of their course.
Student satisfaction in 2017 at UWTSD is above the sector and Wales average in:
- Learning opportunities
- Assessment and feedback
- Academic support
- Learning community
- Student voice
- Overall satisfaction.
Guide League Table
The Complete University Guide produce annual league tables and rankings by university and subject.
UWTSD received some excellent rankings in the Complete University Guide 2019; the highlights were:
- 1st in Wales for Archaeology
- =8th in the UK for student satisfaction in Business & Management Studies
- 2nd in the UK for student satisfaction in Social Work
- 3rd in the UK for student satisfaction in Materials Technology
- 6th in the UK for student satisfaction in Classics & Ancient History
- 7th in the UK for student satisfaction in Computer Science
- 7th in the UK for student satisfaction in Marketing.
Guardian League Table
UWTSD jumped 27 places to =85th in the Guardian League Table 2019, with additional highlights including ranking:
- =6th in the UK for satisfaction with feedback
- 20th in the UK for Art
- 1st in Wales for Design & Crafts
- 1st in Wales for Forensic Science & Archaeology
- 8th in the UK for Fashion & Textiles
People & Planet University League Table
The People & Planet’s University League is the only comprehensive and independent league table of UK universities ranked by environmental and ethical performance.
UWTSD was awarded ‘First Class’ status in the People & Planet University League Table 2017.
Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education Survey
The Destinations of Leavers from Higher Education (DLHE) survey asks leavers from higher education what they are doing six months after graduation.
In the 2015/16 DLHE survey:
- 95% of UWTSD’s undergraduate students were in employment and/or further study six months after graduating.
- 100% of UWTSD’s postgraduate students were in employment and/or further study six months after graduating.
Research Excellence Framework 2014
TheResearch Excellence Framework (REF) is the new system for assessing the quality of research in UK higher education institutions.
In the REF 2014, 60% of UWTSD’s research work was judged to be either outstanding (23.3%) or very considerable (36.7%) in terms of its reach and significance. This demonstrates the strength of the University’s research work and the contribution it makes in seeking solutions to real-world challenges.
The full results can be found here.
Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF)
The Government has introduced a Teaching Excellence Framework (TEF) with the aim of recognising and rewarding excellent learning and teaching.
UWTSD received a Bronze awards which means that based on the evidence available, the TEF Panel judged that the University delivers teaching, learning and outcomes for its students that meet rigorous national quality requirements for UK higher education.
The Panel considered all the information in the provider submission in relation to the TEF criteria and its judgement reflects in particular, evidence of:
- Course design and assessment practices that ensure most students make progress and acquire knowledge, skills and understanding that are valued by employers
- Sufficient levels of contact time, including personalised provision and additional study support that secures good engagement from most students
- Physical and digital resources that are used by students to further their learning
- The use of research and scholarship to enhance curriculum design and delivery, strengthen student engagement, enrich the student experience, increase student opportunities and deliver graduate skills through direct links with industry
- An institutional culture that facilitates and recognises excellent teaching; staff development opportunities are in place supported by a strategic staff development plan.
The Times & Sunday Times Good University Guide
The Times & Sunday Times rankings provide the information to allow students to make an informed choice about their higher education.
UWTSD received some excellent rankings in the 2018 results; the highlights were:
- UWTSD ranked 4th in the UK & 1st in Wales for Teaching Quality in Business Studies
- UWTSD ranked 8th in the UK & 1st in Wales for Student Experience in Business Studies
- UWTSD ranked 4th in the UK & 1st in Wales for Teaching Quality in Classics & Ancient History
- UWTSD ranked 9th in the UK and 1st in Wales for Teaching Quality in Computer Science
- UWTSD ranked 1st in Wales for Teaching Quality in History
- UWTSD ranked 1st in Wales for Teaching Quality and Student Experience in Mechanical Engineering.